Favors

Saying about meeting on match.com

For our wedding favors I think we are going to put a candle and then attach with a cute bow some matches. I would like to use this as the only little sign that we met on match.com, but would like a sweet saying to put with it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Karen

Re: Saying about meeting on match.com

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I would probably throw a candle in the trash, saying or not.  Are you really attached to the idea?   Does a candle have some kind of personal signicifance to you?   And I think mentioning that you met on the internet is kind of tacky.   Sorry....probably not what you wanted to hear.
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your thoughts and your input. The candles do have to do with our vintage theme, and as for the other I guess we all have to select what we feel is significant to us and special for our day. I did meet my perfect match on match.com and I am not ashamed of that. Life gives us many challenges as has mine at age 53 with many losses, so by the fact that an amazing man blessed my life I am excited and do hope that all meet their special match.

So thank you for your input and wish you all the best.
    Karen
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If candles have special meaning to you, then that's great.  I'm just very anti-clutter, so the last thing I need in my house is more "stuff", especially one lone candle that doesn't match anything else.   I'm just one of those people who is generally anti-favor, unless it's something that I can eat.    But if it's fairly generic (white, clear or frosted glass holder) then maybe I'l lthrow it in the drawer and use it when the power goes out. 

I wasn't suggesting that you should be ashamed of how you met.  I did the match.com thing (as well as eharmony) before I met my fiance at my cousin's wedding.  Everyone who is invited to the wedding is close enough to us that they know EXACTLY how we met.  Heck, most of them were there.   We gave it a cute one-line mention on our website, but I don't plan on dwelling on it at the wedding.   There are actually many more significant parts to our relationship, things we have been through, times we have shared, than the day we met each other. 
    DSC_9275
  • nlindsay17nlindsay17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Karen, I love your idea of the candle and matches. I for one use scented candles in my home on a regular basis. I think you hit the saying for your matches "We hope everyone meets their special match". Best of luck and enjoy your wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks and you are right! That would be a good way to put it. :)

Thanks again and have a great day!!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  Other expressions that could hint at your circumstances would be to simply write your names, Karen and ........., followed by "The Perfect Match", or something along the lines of "It only takes one spark to light a flame/fire", or "Love is the spark that fans the flame".

Perhaps if your theme is vintage, you could find inexpensive stick matches in a box as opposed to the matchbook type of matches.

• edited December 2011
    Oh those are very cute ideas! And we are going to do the box matches. We are not making a big deal out of the match.com, but just wanted one little piec snuck in to give a hint of it. I do love both of the saying and thank you for the ideas.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    And now, I am obsessing.....googling quotes about love and flames....

Love must be as much a light, as it is a flame.  ~Henry David Thoreau

Love is like a friendship caught on fire.

And you alluded to this in your prior post....it may not be wedding appropriate but does seem to be your philosophy in life..........

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.

Good luck to you.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for looking these up. I had googled also but had not found any I cared for, but these are great! We are having our wedding at a small castle beautiful gardened grounds and several fountain and ponds. The vintage theme will go so great. I appreciate the effort.  At any age a wedding is exciting and special! We have 6 children between us (5 of which are girls) that are having a great time helping to plan. The candles and matches was my youngests daugters idea and we all loved it. These are great sayings so I will have to think about all of them. The last one does hit home to how another can change our lives. As I was not so sure I would find myself here again without the love of this very special man.

Ok now I am way to sappy and I do love these and thanks for the response!

Best of luck to you also! Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_saying-meeting-matchcom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:b6ee571d-5b1d-42a9-9673-5ce9e50b0b58Post:54304be6-cbdf-4238-aab6-3b95515fc8e8">Re: Saying about meeting on match.com</a>:
    [QUOTE]If candles have special meaning to you, then that's great.  I'm just very anti-clutter, so the last thing I need in my house is more "stuff", especially one lone candle that doesn't match anything else.   I'm just one of those people who is generally anti-favor, unless it's something that I can eat.    But if it's fairly generic (white, clear or frosted glass holder) then maybe I'l lthrow it in the drawer and use it when the power goes out.  I wasn't suggesting that you should be ashamed of how you met.  I did the match.com thing (as well as eharmony) before I met my fiance at my cousin's wedding.  Everyone who is invited to the wedding is close enough to us that they know EXACTLY how we met.  Heck, most of them were there.   We gave it a cute one-line mention on our website, but I don't plan on dwelling on it at the wedding.   There are actually many more significant parts to our relationship, things we have been through, times we have shared, than the day we met each other. 
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>Snarky, much?</div><div>God knows let's not at all celebrate the day we met, it's just "one single day". Or hell, let's not celebrate the day we were born, it's just one day. Or you know, the day you get married... it's just one day. Ugh.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I think that's a cute idea, and I would love a candle :P especially with the matches / Match.com tie-in, gives it a personal touch instead of "just" a candle. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input! We are moving forward with the idea and I have had several good ideas posted. My son is a graphic designer and he is designing some very cute notes to attach. with ribbon. Thanks again!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think that the idea is very cute.  I love candles, and I love the idea of using the matches to signify that you met on match.com.  Also, so many people meet on-line nowadays that I don't think you need to avoid mentioning it.  Personally, I don't think anything of it when people meet on-line.
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE your idea!!
    I met my hubb-a-roo on Match too!
    Congratulations!
    Tam
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, yes that is a really cute idea. I met my future hubby on Plenty of Fish and we are going to have a cake topper with me fishing and reeling him in by his pants...lol....I don't know why we need to do it, many will not really know its significance, but it is for us because we are so happy we met!

But I understand why you want to do it! So just wanted to say I like the idea alot! And if there is an odd person out there, who thinks it is "clutter" then they don't have to take it, if it is such an inconvenicence having one candle clutter their whole house!!Surprised.
  • edited December 2011
    That is a really cute idea about the cake topper and best of luck with your wedding. I know what you mean about others may not even know, That is the way this is, but it is just fun for us! And I love that our children are sooo excited about the wedding and for us. Once again thanks and best of luck!
  • MeghannsixMeghannsix member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the matches, kinda like an inside joke, and it will make a neat conversation starter for guests who may not know each other. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! :) It is and I have a few friends who think I was crazy going on match...but I would recommend it to anyone!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a cute idea!  My husband and I met on Match as well, and I'm wishing now we would've incoporated that into our wedding somehow.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    THANKS!!!! 
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! I met my future hub in eharmony. I love your idea about the camdle. GL
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! Best of luck to you!
  • edited December 2011

Hi Karen,

You read my mind, I met my fiance on match.com and I had the exact same idea, with putting "The Perfect Match" on matches along with a candle!

I am trying to brainstorm other ideas as well.  If I think of any I will let you know and please send any my way!  The whole favor thing is starting to drive me crazy.

Erica

• edited November 2012

dffsadfasd
    fsdfsdfsdfsdfs

hngfhfgh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards