Honeymoon Discussions

S/O Corruption in Latin America

In response to the posters who were saying in the "Would you go to Mexico, if so why?" thread that all of Latin America is more or less equal in terms of having problems with drugs, violence and corruption, I wanted to share that Transparency International released the 2010 Corruption Perception Index today.

FYI, Chile came 21 out of 178 countries. The US came 22 (yes, more corrupt than somewhere in Latin America!), and Uruguay came 24. So to the people who honestly think that every single country in Latin America has serious corruption problems, you may want to consider moving out of the US. May I recommend Denmark, New Zealand or Singapore?

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

Re: S/O Corruption in Latin America

• bien hecho!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • I think generalizations (especially when they stem out of the fearmongering that our media seems to enjoy so much) are just so silly.

When I lived in Japan, my co-workers were terrified of travelling to the US because they were convinced they'd get shot on a street corner. They were convinced that Japan is the safest country in the world.

That same year, 1% of my town (of 4000) were murdered in various crimes of passion. 1%! That's a huge number. Also, the yakuza used to dump bodies out in the forests near my house.

I'm just saying. They still think America is more dangerous.

In all reality, there's no such thing as a safe place. Bad stuff happens all the time in places you'd consider good. Hopefully you're not going to spend the rest of your life living in fear. Just take appropriate caution. Do your research. Then go out and enjoy life.
  • Love it!

I lived in Argentina and Ecuador for a year and loved it.  Yes there was corruption, but there is everywhere!  You just have to be smart about where you go and the situations you put yourself in.
    I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards