Registry and Gift Forum

What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards?

OMG - We received over a dozen gift cards in the mail after our wedding and the identity of the gifter is nowhere to be found!  The gift cards came in the mail from Home Depot and ACE Hardware - they were not sent by the people who bought them, so we have no way of tracking who paid for them. We called Home Depot and ACE and they won't tell us who purchased the gift cards. We have no idea if they are from people who came to the wedding or people who were invited but couldn't come.
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS? Any suggestions on how to attempt Thank You cards?

Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards?

• You might say in the notes, "Thank you so much for attending and for your wonderful gift.  We look forward to using it and seeing you in the near future!"
  • When my best friend and her husband got a few gifts without tags they gushed about them on their FB. Luckily the people who gave them spoke up and they were able to complete the thank you cards.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-is-thank-you-etiquette-when-you-dont-know-who-sent-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c018cada-2d76-4a00-85d6-5020e24e3d9dPost:e657a0e0-1341-4d35-b692-f763247147e6">Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards? : She said she doesn't know who sent them.  
    Posted by Edie Bee[/QUOTE]

These notes can be sent to people whom it can't be established what gift they gave.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-is-thank-you-etiquette-when-you-dont-know-who-sent-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c018cada-2d76-4a00-85d6-5020e24e3d9dPost:0e50ce9d-b895-41a9-93cf-1189bede0f5b">Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd mention it to your moms and some friends and have them spread the word. Hopefully someone will pipe up and say they were the ones who sent them. Generally I think it is best to keep stuff off facebook, but you could put it there too. I had friends receive a camera as a wedding gift and they didn't know who it was from. They worded the post to be a nice thank and said they'd love to know who gave it so they could send a proper thank you.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea. This is a very rare case where facebook solves a problem rather than creates it. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-is-thank-you-etiquette-when-you-dont-know-who-sent-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c018cada-2d76-4a00-85d6-5020e24e3d9dPost:f17de015-8b1e-435d-a89e-76717f0f73b5">Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards? : How is she supposed to send that note when she doesn't know who sent them?
    Posted by Edie Bee[/QUOTE]

She might have guests whom she can't tell if they sent anything-or that they did but not which gift it was.
  • edited November 2012
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-is-thank-you-etiquette-when-you-dont-know-who-sent-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c018cada-2d76-4a00-85d6-5020e24e3d9dPost:3c6249ed-b8b1-49bf-bf1f-d91d6dc35bbd">Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Thank You etiquette when you don't know who sent gift cards? : She might have guests whom she can't tell if they sent anything-or that they did but not which gift it was.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

I definitely would not write TY notes to guests thanking them for a gift if you do not know if they actually gave you something</div>. 
  • I had this problem when I graduated high school.  I asked my grandparents and such but never did find out who sent the gift card.  I'm terribly afraid that somewhere out there is someone who thinks I'm an ungrateful wretch for not sending a thank you card (and the gift card was rather large for a graduation).

I would probably post on FB but I'm guessing that you had at least a few people (friends of parents/IL) at your wedding who you aren't connected with on FB.  I would let your parents know and his parents know just in case someone asks if you received their gift.  In a month or two, a guest might contact you and say "Did you ever receive our gift card?" and then you can tell them that there was no notice of who sent it when you received it but that you greatly appreciate knowing who sent it and will send them a TY note.

If you never find out, well, that's just the way it goes and there's really nothing you can do about it, unfortunately.  You've done everything you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards