Hawaii
Options

Hunting BM dresses <$200 is impossible

I am dying trying to find dresses for my girls.

Problem 1: They are literally all different shapes and sizes.
  BM1: Size 18-20, apple shape, big all over (arms, tummy, butt), 5'3"
  BM2: Size 10-12, broad shoulders, 5'5"
  BM2: Size 0 on a heavy day, flat every where, 5'1".

Problem 2: I've pretty much decided they have to wear different dresses to fit they different body types and to match their personal style a little better. 

Problem 3:  I also wanted the dresses to be something they WILL use again. I know so many people say that but the dress never actually gets used.  I need it to be nice enough to pull off in my wedding, but not too formal that they'll never be able to wear unless they are meeting Obama.

Problem 4:  My colors are red, primarily, with gold accents--cuz we're repping the Asian invasion. JK. =)

Problem 5:  I'm a firm believer that if there is money to be saved, it's usually in attire.  I did my groomsmen attire for around $70.  I would like to save as much as possible on the girls as I can...this is probably where I'm having issues.

So here's what I've come up with so far: 

Chiffon is a really forgiving fabric that will make my big girl thin, and my thin girl a little less wispy.  If we did it in a knee length, it'll still look nice and they could totally use it again for a dinner date or whatever. Problem is, I can't find it in my colors for less than like $200.

Am I going to have to give up my ideas of reusable, affordable, cute, knee-length chiffon dresses?

Has anyone had dresses made from patterns with a seamstress/tailor?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hunting BM dresses <$200 is impossible

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You mentioned the asian invasion...I'm assuming a little black dress is out of the question then?  That's probably your only truly rewearable dress.  Otherwise, maybe a convertible dress with tube tops for those who are not comfortable with the lack of coverage -- I could see either a sand/gold one or a maroonish red one being rewearable.

Have you tried David's Bridal, Alfred Angelo, Jasmine, etc?  Lots of great options under $200.  Most of the ones I've purchased are $120-$180.  Maybe you can also relax the "chiffon" requirement and simply say... Designer XYZ, Color ABC, Length knee or calf -- and them let them choose whatever they want. 

FWIW, Problem 2 isn't really a problem imho.  If the girls are dressed to flatter their bodies, no one will notice the dresses aren't matchy.  Guests will just notice that everyone looks great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I need to just see them in some styles first...it might help ease some of my craziness over this whole dress thing.  I feel pressure from the girls to pick something but I'm really afraid to.

My sister is the largest girl and I've hestitated on buying the dresses...or even looking at all, because she's steadily gaining weight. She has some health issues but also refuses lift a finger to take care of herself. The girl will literally eat fried chicken skin without the chicken. Don't get me wrong...I don't care...I love her full figured or not (I'm no anorexia candidate either) but you can see why it might be hard to buy dresses for someone who gains weight every month--and it's not like I can ask her not to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All three of my bridesmaids are all different sizes and shapes, and we went to Davids Bridal and tried on a ton of dresses and found one that they both looked good in. I think Davids Bridal is a good choice, they have a lot of colors and styles, and they are most under $200.00. Our dresses were $140.00.
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, buy her the dress, and if she can't fit into it, that's her problem - and maybe the wake up call she needs to change her eating habits. I had a plus size girl too, and once the dress came in and she couldn't fit into it, she worked her butt off and has been steadily taking off the weight. Sometimes people need that reality check, you know?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having similar difficulties finding bridesmaids dresses but my budget is even tighter. I've had some luck looking at sites like macys, nordstrom, jcpenney, lulus. It's hard when you truly do want your girls to wear there dresses again & like them but yet you want the dress to look nice for a wedding, i'm realizing that you can't make everyone happy. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ever considered declaring a color & length and asking them to find their own dresses, regardless of designer, fabric, etc?  This lets every girl spend as much as they are comfortable with.  If they care for it to be reusable, they'll buy something they'd wear again.  If they don't care, they can likely find one for $30 at target.

And FWIW, my sister was the same way, and once the dress arrived, she realized she needed to change habits in order to pull it off for the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So, I found a dress that I liked and had it madeby Milly Bridal in China.
    You send them pictures with what you want, they make a test one, send you pics, you can approve or make more edits and then they make the final ones for you.

I had my girls give me their measurements for tailored dresses. I believe it was about $85 for each dress. They were chiffon as well.

I think there are pics in my married bio.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You are my hero, Caia!!  That's absolutely perfect!  Your dresses are gorgeous and pretty similar to what I'm looking for. I love the dresses from Pretty Maids and I'm wondering if I send them the pic if they can just duplicate it.  That's insane that they did it for that price.  That's great.  Thank you so much for the tip!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards