November 2013 Weddings

Divorced Parents

My parents are divorced. My mom has remarried and has been married for about 13 years. My dad isn't married. I need ideas on how to do the unity candle. I also would like to know if I should dance with my step dad to a father daughter dance? That would be 2 father daughter dances. Please help!

Re: Divorced Parents

• Hi!

You'll probably get more responses if you post on one of the more populated boards like etiquette or wedding woes... but for what it's worth, I've always seen the mothers light the unity candle. So your FMIL and your mother light the unity candle. 

As for two father/daughter dances, it's whatever you are most comfortable with! Are you close with your stepfather? Would your stepdad be offended if there wasn't one? If you aren't very close I think it is okay to just do one with your father. You can always ask him (and your dad) what they want?

Congrats on your engagement!! Is your wedding November 2013? If so, you have a lot of time to plan through these kinks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_divorced-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:791cdf7e-469b-4e00-b43f-fff9de5d3c68Post:ad921777-115a-4de8-9058-38f20e8172b3">Divorced Parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents are divorced. My mom has remarried and has been married for about 13 years. My dad isn't married. I need ideas on how to do the unity candle. I also would like to know if I should dance with my step dad to a father daughter dance? That would be 2 father daughter dances. Please help!
    Posted by nmingram[/QUOTE]

I would talk to your dad and mom and see how they feel. You have the final say, but I would see how your parents feel and take it from there. I know my uncle has told my cousin how he feels about it. It seems like you have a great relationship with your step parents and want to honor them. If your dad isnt remarried then it is easy bc it can just be your mom and fmil lighting it. I think two father daughter dances is cute. I have also seen both father and step dad walk the bride down the aisle as well. Do what works for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards