Wedding Reception Forum

Friday vs Sunday

My fiance and I just fell in love with a venue for our reception. The problem is, everyone in Connecticut has fallen for it too! They do not have a single Saturday night available from April till October 2014.  So I need opinions! Is it better to do a Friday night or a Sunday night? Sunday would be from 3-9, so it's not too late. 

Thanks in advance!! 

Re: Friday vs Sunday

• Friday!  And yes, things book quickly here.  I got engaged Oct 2011 and just about nothing was available for 2012 (all Sat & Fri were booked).  So we decided to wait a year which actually was better for me.  Keep in mind that many of your vendors may be booked already too since the venue is booked...

PS - which venue in CT?
  • We're having ours on a Friday since most people have off work Saturdays, it would be easier for our guests to stay and enjoy themselves. Would you have a lot of out of towners? Keep them in mind if flying in for a Friday or Sunday wedding would be easier. We don't have any so a Friday evening worked fine for us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For me personally, I'd prefer Friday.  But that's because I'd probably have no problem leaving work a couple hours early to get ready.  And, as a guest, it's nice to get it out of the way, for lack of better words, and still have the rest of the weekend free.
  • It really depends on your crowd! We went with a Friday because the party atmosphere was very important to FI, but a Sunday brunch wedding might be better if you have lots of out of towners. Keep in mind that your alcohol costs would probably be much lower on a Sunday too.
  • We loved our venue and could have saved $750 if we opted for Friday instead of Sunday, but we still went with Sunday. 

Most of our guests are local, only a small number will have to fly in.  We compared how many of our guests would be off on Sunday vs. how many would have to leave from work early Friday then factored in the guests flying in would have to take off Monday.

For our situation Sunday (early) was the right choice. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did a Sunday. It was basically a DW, but was still a US destination. Most of our guests flew in Friday, some in Saturday. They mostly left either Monday or Tuesday. I will say that the atmosphere was pretty laid back since we had a bar crawl on Friday and lots of people went out on the town Saturday night, but that is what we were aiming for. From what I heard people still went out after the reception so they were obviously having a good time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_friday-vs-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c6451936-3156-4062-a426-f902c1675c4fPost:fb31d4eb-d8c2-4b81-bc1e-2e62781042c4">Re: Friday vs Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Friday!  And yes, things book quickly here.  I got engaged Oct 2011 and just about nothing was available for 2012 (all Sat & Fri were booked).  So we decided to wait a year which actually was better for me.  Keep in mind that many of your vendors may be booked already too since the venue is booked... PS - which venue in CT?
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>The Aria in Prospect Ct. It is in the process of being built and it looks like it will be beautiful!</div>
  • I agree that it depends on the crowd, but personally, I'd prefer a Sunday. Because most people don't leave work until five on a weekday, you'd probably want to have your wedding start at six at the very earliest. Plus, I don't know about others, but I know after a long day at work I'm not always in the mood to party! 

Good luck! It's a tough decision to make. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_friday-vs-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c6451936-3156-4062-a426-f902c1675c4fPost:0b120b37-9609-45c5-85cd-d93d5e4f793f">Re: Friday vs Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday vs Sunday : The Aria in Prospect Ct. It is in the process of being built and it looks like it will be beautiful!
    Posted by cbulzone[/QUOTE]
    I will give you one more word of warning then.  Since the venue is in the process of being built, I'm assuming that 2014 will be the first "wedding season" it will go through?  Beware that this is akin to going to a restaurant on opening night.  It's a crapshoot.  You may end up with wonderful quality & service, or find out that they have some kinks to work out.
  • I'm not allowed to take random days off or leave work early, so I would never be able to attend a Friday wedding unless it's local, and then I'd look like crap coming straight from work. But that's just my two cents
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_friday-vs-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c6451936-3156-4062-a426-f902c1675c4fPost:c07a5f20-8207-4e85-b9a1-47b6bfa6d97a">Re: Friday vs Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday vs Sunday : I will give you one more word of warning then.  Since the venue is in the process of being built, I'm assuming that 2014 will be the first "wedding season" it will go through?  Beware that this is akin to going to a restaurant on opening night.  It's a crapshoot.  You may end up with wonderful quality & service, or find out that they have some kinks to work out.
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

<div>Luckily for us, it will be about a year after they open. They are scheduled to be open for Memorial day of this year. I am hoping that they have all the kinks worked out by then. </div>
  • I got married on a Sunday so I'm biased, but we kept things pretty early. I have no problem being out until 9-10 on a Sunday and still make it into work on Monday but I'd have to take off time to get to a Friday wedding. But for me, the vast majority of our guests were teachers on summer break and students between semesters....so it worked well for OUR group.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_friday-vs-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c6451936-3156-4062-a426-f902c1675c4fPost:409141f9-bd28-4046-8418-b33aaa2e20a7">Re: Friday vs Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday vs Sunday : Luckily for us, it will be about a year after they open. They are scheduled to be open for Memorial day of this year. I am hoping that they have all the kinks worked out by then. 
    Posted by cbulzone[/QUOTE]

Good move! You should be good then. It's the June 2013 brides that I'd be worried about
  • I think sunday would be the better option, as many of my guests would not be able to get off early from work for a 3pm wedding. If the wedding started a bit later, that wouldn't be an issue.
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March siggy:THE DRESS
    photo practically_perfect_2_zpsb1ba38c6.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards