Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Costa Rica - beaches?

We're looking to book our honeymoon at an al inclusive in Costa Rica. We were drawn to the location because of all of the adventure excursions and the landscape, but now I'm seeing really iced reviews on the beaches. I've read that they are rocky and freeing cold...not exactly perfect for swimming and laying out, but maybe you can't get everything in one place. Has anyone had experience at an all inclusive in CR? of course they have great pools, but I still pictured going swimming in the beach too.

Re: Costa Rica - beaches?

• Options
    What area are you going to be in? We were in Manual Antonio and the beach was so amazing. Almost like swimming in bath water, clear, blue, warmish.

• Options
    It also very much depends on if you are there during the wet or dry season. During wet season, you will have much more murky water.
  • Options
    It looks like mos of the resorts are in guanacaste, and we would be there in June. Thank you for any feedback :)
  • Options
    There is so much to see in CR besides the beaches, I'd highly recommend you look at other areas of the country too.  While there are AIs, many of the nicest resorts in CR are not AI and actually encourage you to spend a few days at each place so you get to see the best of everything. Get yourself a Frommers guide and get an idea of the areas of the country and the type of resorts you want to stay at.
  • Options
    I agree with Trinity. Costa Rica is amazing and there are so many places to see!! I wouldn't stay in an all inclusive, depending on how much time you have, I would go to Volcan Arenal and stay in one of the amazing spa hotels there, then for sure you have to go to Manuel Antonio and stay in one of the beautiful cliff side hotels. If you have more than one week then you could also go to another beach town like Tamarindo or I highly recommend the Montezuma area. We rented a car and it was super easy to get around!Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are going next March. We've decided to split our 7 night trip into two parts as there is so much to do. Our first leg we will be staying at The Lost Iguana Resort and Spa in a luxury suitenon AI near the Arenal Volcano. For our second leg 4 nights we will be staying at the Hilton Papagayo AI in a Jr suite w/private plung pool. We are flying into San Jose, renting a car for the week not for the faint of heart as their roads are bad so we can do what we want to do when we want to do it and flying out of Liberia. San Jose to resort one is about a 2 hr drive, resort one to resort two is about a 4 hr drive and resort two to Liberia airport is about a 1 hr dr.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    June could be rainy in Costa Rica - check into that. We were in Guanacaste last April and it was beautiful! Very end of the dry season, so everything was kind of dead in that province, but we took day trips to the inland rainforests.

The beach was lovely as far as I'm concerned. The water was crystal clear, and it was more than wide enough to lay out (even in high tide, there was loads of room). The beaches are not as white as you would find in a lot of other Caribbean locations because of all the seismic activity in the country, but that didn't bother me at all.

ETA: The water was definitely warm - we were in everyday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards