Latino Weddings

Mariachis??

Hi girls, just wondering are any of you hiring a mariachi for you reception? We just book one to play at ours!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mariachis??

• munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did.  My FI isn't Mexican, he isn't even latino, so he didn't get how important this element was for me.  Finally, I talked him in to check out the band that our local consulate uses for events and he was sold.  I'm so excited!
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Definetly having mariachis.  To me they are an important part of our heritage... We haven't booked them yet and don't know where to begin to look.  I might try asking on my local board to see if I get any recomendations...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so exited too!! All my family and his family are mexican so my family is expecting a mariachi. Besides a mexican wedding wouldn't be complete without the classic songs like: El Rey, La negra and Jalisco. They might even make me sing, since I play in a mariachi myself. Haydee you should check out the website elmariachi.com you might be able to find a mariachi there.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been looking in the MD/DC/VA area and its so expensive here for just an hour. I would love it and my grandma especially would love it but we just might not have one because of the cost. I will check the site in pp to see if they have anyone else listed for the East Coast.
  • edited December 2011
    I can't find the lyrics to La Negra.  Does anyone how that song goes?  Or have a youtube link to it.
  • edited December 2011
    I discovered you have to book MONTHS in advance!! It took me a little over a month to finally find one that was available (I started calling around in May and my wedding is late September).  I will also have my folklorico group perform (and FI and I are going to dance too!) :) I'm so excited!
  • edited December 2011
    Haydee here are the lyrics to La Negra... Negrita de mis pesares ojas de papel volando Negrita de mis pesares ojas de papel volando A todos diles que si, Pero no les digas cuando Asi me dijiste a mi, Por eso vivo penando ¿Cuando me traes a mi negra? Que la quiero ver aqui Con su rebozo de seda Que le traje de Tepic. ¿Cuando me traes a mi negra? Que la quiero ver aqui Con su rebozo de seda Que le traje de Tepic. Yeah it can be very hard to fine an affordable mariachi in some areas. Also to asure them you have to book a few months ahead. I ended up paying $300 for 30 minutes.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes! Definitely not even a question about it.  It was the first thing my mom said she'd take care of. 
  • jccswljccswl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was looking forward to having them for our wedding, but it was one of the cost that had to be cut. We're having a destination wedding in Vegas, and I couldn't find any for a decent price, so I had to give up on that idea. What is the going rate? I was quoted for no less than $2,000 for an hour.
  • edited December 2011
    A decent price is between $400 and $450 an hour.
  • ejfranco82ejfranco82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sooooo doing it!!!
  • edited December 2011
    HECK YES! I used to play in Mariachi here in Los Angeles so you know I will have to have my chicas play at my wedding. If you are anywhere near LA, I could recommend some really good groups and some all female groups who play amazingly!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, FI's cousins and uncles are in a mariachi band, so we're having them play at the reception. I'm confused on when they should play, though, because if they play during dinner, then they won't get a chance to eat, but I have a specific playlist for the music for dancing. Hmmmm.... I might just have to discuss it with my FI or FMIL.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Where do u live?? And how many players do u want? Here in California the most expensive is like 400 per hour
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards