Florida-West Coast
Options

Jewelers

We're starting to look at wedding rings, and I'm all over the board. Does anybody have any experience with either the Jewelry Exchange in Tampa, or International Diamond Source in Clearwater? There's an indie jeweler by our house too, Lithos in St. Pete, that I want to check out because they do great custom work. I hate dealing with sales people, so we want to go to as few places as possible - just enough to comparison shop and see selection a bit.

I want something antiquey (but new because my engagement ring is a family ring) that will work well with a wide yellow band of my engagement ring. Ideally a channel-set band, with some interesting detail to set it apart. But we're also on a budget, so I'm looking at places that can do great work for less.

Thanks!

Re: Jewelers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I felt like the jewelry exchange in tampa was pretty overpriced. We went looking for my engagement ring there and they were offering worse diamond (solitaire) than the chain stores like kay and helzberg, but for about the same cost. I really felt like they were trying to SELL SELL SELL me something too, which I cannot stand. We actually found my band at a pawn shop in Tampa for $90, but we got FIs ring from Kay in countryside mall and they were really easy to deal with. We actually picked them over another store because of how honest they were even though the price on his ring was a little higher than other places.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    teachermegsteachermegs member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Magnon Jewelers on Dale Mabry first. I found something I loved and the people left us alone. We looked other places and people were annoying. I think the guy's name was Eric who helped us.
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought my ring from International Diamond Center - excellent price because they are not a regular store, they are a wholesaler, and the sales woman (Charlene) was an older woman who was totally honest with us as opposed to the frantic commission-hunters at the mall stores, etc.

Another thing:  when we bought the ring, Charlene said that, unlike most jewelry stores, they have a jeweler ON SITE, so we went across the street and had lunch, and then came back over and picked up the ring which was totally finished in an hour.  No waiting a week or 10 days to come back and get it, which is what the other jewelry stores do.

I thought the people at the Jewelry Exchange were completely smarmy and dismissive if you wanted to look at anything under 2 carats.  In fact, the salesgirl told me that they didn't carry any diamonds that were under 1.5 carats.  Which, as you know from every TV commercial they air, is a lie.
  • Options
    adamar15adamar15 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My e-ring and band are both custom rings from Awesome Jewelry on Dale Mabry.  They do great work, but just be sure to give them plenty of time to get things done. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    JBC123JBC123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to shop at Jewelry Exchange in Los Angeles when I lived there and they were great, however, I was very disappointed when I went shopping at the one in Tampa.  it's a rinky-dink store and they had no big selection of anything (I was looking for a piece of fashion jewelry with some b-day money).  I also think they're way overpriced.

I would either try the Gold & Diamond Source in Clearwater, or, if you kinda have an eye for jewelry and know what you're looking at, try some of the pawn shops.  My FI and I got my ring at a pawn shop and we did much better than we would have in any store.  My stone is 1.25 ct princess cut set in 14kt yellow gold.  The diamond has tremendous fire and several jewelers have said I did very well.  I always get compliments on my ring.  I absolutely love it. 

Whatever you do, try to do some "diamond homework" and research what you should be looking for online.  Know your "4 c's - carat, cut. clarity and color".  A little education beforehand goes a long way.

Good luck and happy shopping. Wink
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards