Honeymoon Discussions
Options

short layover made a stupid mistake

So in booking our return flight from cancun to Newark to Boston I very foolishly picked the shortest travel itinerary which means we are supposed to get in to Newark at 6:24 pm at terminal b and we depart from terminal c at 8 pm. Both are United: flights 1049 and 994

They are nonrefundable tix and I bought them on orbitz as part of a package. anyone who has experience with Newark, Will we have time?

I've never missed a flight before. What happens if we miss our flight? Is there a cost to us?

I can't find flight stats for those routes either.

Re: short layover made a stupid mistake

• Options
    You really don't need to be worried, an hour and a half is more than enough time to get across any airport in the country.  Typically an airline won't LET you buy a package if the layover is too short to get across the airport.

If you miss the flight through the fault of the airline (like, the first flight is delayed an hour and a half) the airline will find you seats on another flight at no cost to you. 

No, really, am I missing something?  I honestly don't understand why you'd be worried about an hour and a half layover...my layovers are usually more like 45 minutes....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_short-layover-made-a-stupid-mistake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:4b7d9af5-43a9-4615-8c3d-2e0778dc8b1cPost:5d017693-fe2c-4d12-84d2-5380ad3ef8e6">short layover made a stupid mistake</a>:
    [QUOTE]So in booking our return flight from cancun to Newark to Boston I very foolishly picked the shortest travel itinerary which means we are supposed to get in to Newark at 6:24 pm at terminal b and we depart from terminal c at 8 pm. Both are United: flights 1049 and 994 They are nonrefundable tix and I bought them on orbitz as part of a package. anyone who has experience with Newark, Will we have time? I've never missed a flight before. What happens if we miss our flight? Is there a cost to us? I can't find flight stats for those routes either.
    Posted by TheSlowskys[/QUOTE]

<div>Coming back from our honeymoon in Cancun, we missed our connecting flight in Texas (we connected in Texas and were flying back to Newark). We missed our flight by five minutes. We had to wait for the next flight out, about two hours later and we didn't have to pay anything extra. It was crappy 'cause we had to sit apart on the flight home. Let me just say that Newark is the worst airport and the people are really nasty (don't mean to hurt feelings but this is my experience). </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I hate the Newark airport but you should be fine.  Just don't waste any time when your flight lands and head right for your next boarding area.
  • Options
    Because I believe we have to get our bags and have to clear customs there I thought?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_short-layover-made-a-stupid-mistake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:4b7d9af5-43a9-4615-8c3d-2e0778dc8b1cPost:a5c2e71e-dc76-4111-b503-ea79c3a62604">Re: short layover made a stupid mistake</a>:
    [QUOTE]You really don't need to be worried, an hour and a half is more than enough time to get across any airport in the country.  Typically an airline won't LET you buy a package if the layover is too short to get across the airport. If you miss the flight through the fault of the airline (like, the first flight is delayed an hour and a half) the airline will find you seats on another flight at no cost to you.  No, really, am I missing something?  I honestly don't understand why you'd be worried about an hour and a half layover...my layovers are usually more like 45 minutes....
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

While 90 minutes is a decent amount of time for a domestic layover, the OP will have to go through immigration and customs at Newark which is what I'm assuming she was worried about with her original post. Although Newark is only a connection point, you still go through customs and immigration in the first American city you land in, not your final destination. So yes in that regard I'd be slightly worried too as immigration is sometimes never flowing at Newark.

My advice-if possible don't check any bags since once you go through immigration you will have to get your bags to go through customs and then re-check them moments later. Try to get seats towards the front of the plane to ensure you're one of the first ones off and lastly, hightail it.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I would definitely try to not worry about it. And in that instance, hope that your final flight to Boston is delayed, the one time you wish for a delayed flight :)
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    Good suggestion... I will do my best to not check anything but we are going for 10 nights yay!!! And there's always the stupid liquids restrictions. Gahh.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_short-layover-made-a-stupid-mistake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:4b7d9af5-43a9-4615-8c3d-2e0778dc8b1cPost:88756922-579d-492a-b3e1-87373976fbcd">Re:short layover made a stupid mistake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good suggestion... I will do my best to not check anything but we are going for 10 nights yay!!! And there's always the stupid liquids restrictions. Gahh.
    Posted by TheSlowskys[/QUOTE]
    10 nights in a hot place is totally doable for non-checking. Especially on international flights where the overhead space is rather large.  You cann do it, you just have to be very aware of what you are packing. Sandals, swimsuits and dresses take no room at all. Buy your toothpaste, shampoo, sunscreen down there-- and leave it in the room when you check out.

It's not hard, you just have to be savvy.
  • Options
    I have been able to clear customs at Newark in less than an hour.  Not having a checked bag definitely helps.
  • Options
    I don't think it'll matter too much about the checked/not checked bag part because you go through immigration first and by the time you are done with those lines your luggage is usually waiting for you on the belt to clear customs.  So I wouldn't kill yourself to jam everything for a 10 day trip (even to a warm place) into carrry-on luggage.  Just think about the toilettries you'd need for 10 days.  Those likely won't fit in one of those sandwich baggies.
  • Options
    bongebonge member
    First Comment
    You have to check your luggage when switching planes? I never have had too when booked as a package & i have flown lots, just in canada though, they have weird rules in the states. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_short-layover-made-a-stupid-mistake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:4b7d9af5-43a9-4615-8c3d-2e0778dc8b1cPost:99e88785-e727-401e-b284-de4b6d4c4f5a">Re: short layover made a stupid mistake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate the Newark airport but you should be fine.  Just don't waste any time when your flight lands and head right for your next boarding area.
    Posted by brilibby4[/QUOTE]

This. The Newark airport blows. Partially because it seems really small, which means I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. I've made tighter connections.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_short-layover-made-a-stupid-mistake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:4b7d9af5-43a9-4615-8c3d-2e0778dc8b1cPost:22f5164e-b539-474f-ba18-f1dbb437d9c4">Re: short layover made a stupid mistake</a>:
    [QUOTE]You have to check your luggage when switching planes? I never have had too when booked as a package & i have flown lots, just in canada though, they have weird rules in the states. 
    Posted by bonge[/QUOTE]

You have to go through customs when returning from a foreign country at the first airport you land at.
  • Options
    You'll have plenty of time, terminals B and C are next door to each other, you walk out of the end of B and you're literally in the parking lot for C.   I've connected in Newark in 45 minutes including immigration, I think you should be fine with 90.  If anything holds up your connection time it won't be the airport's layout.
  • Options
    I think you will be fine if your really worried about haveing to pay exta incase you miss the plane you can always ask the personn checking you in before you first flight. My advice get off the plane as fast as you can get in line right away check to make sure your gate didnt change and back to the secertuiy line. I would hold off bathroom breaks and food runs till after you get though all the lines and re checked in and find your gate then take care of other needs. It will be a pain but if theres no problems you should be fine. good luck and have a good trip too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards