Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Ketubah signing

Anyone ever sign the ketubah during the ceremony as opposed to before? 

We are planning an interfaith wedding (FI is Christian and I am Jewish). We are having duel officiants (his uncle, a Protestant Pastor, and our Rabbi have agreed to co-officiate) but we have yet to get together to figure out all the ceremony details. 

I was thinking maybe, instead of a candle lighting or readings, we could sign the ketubah together during the ceremony. Because this is not a strictly traditional Jewish ceremony, we will only be including a few Jewish elements, this might be a good option.

What do you ladies think? Have you done it this way or seen it done this way?

I will, of course, ask my Rabbi about this... just was wondering what a general opinion on this would be. Thanks in advance.

Anniversary

Re: Ketubah signing

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    Just so you know, ketubah signing is not done during the main ceremony but generally at a private ceremony that is family and really close friends only.

I'd talk to the rabbi and find out if there is something else you can do together, but Jewish weddings usually do not have "unity candles" or other such rituals because the roles of brides and grooms are pretty distinct in Judaism and the huppah itself symbolizes their union into a single entity.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_ketubah-signing-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:088e2b14-ea10-44de-a8cc-401a33761308Post:f811442e-ded0-4320-80e9-7312bd3d9130">Ketubah signing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone ever sign the ketubah during the ceremony as opposed to before?  We are planning an interfaith wedding (FI is Christian and I am Jewish). We are having duel officiants (his uncle, a Protestant Pastor, and our Rabbi have agreed to co-officiate) but we have yet to get together to figure out all the ceremony details.  I was thinking maybe, instead of a candle lighting or readings, we could sign the ketubah together during the ceremony. Because this is not a strictly traditional Jewish ceremony, we will only be including a few Jewish elements, this might be a good option. What do you ladies think? Have you done it this way or seen it done this way? I will, of course, ask my Rabbi about this... just was wondering what a general opinion on this would be. Thanks in advance.
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My SIL and her (now) husband did this. They are interfaith but were married by a cantor. They did not want to see each other before the ceremony SO the cantor brought it out and read from it during the ceremony. At that time they signed it along with their witness- 2 different bp members who were already standing underneath the Chuppah. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've also seen this done in a Jewish reform ceremony. I think it all depends on your rabbi's opinion. 

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards