Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Old, new, borrowed, blue? What about you?

Something old: My great-grandmother's rosary
Something new: My wedding dress
Something borrowed: ??? (any suggestions)
Something blue: Either my shoes, or a pair of blue earrings (http://www.bluenile.com/blue-topaz-earrings_8086)

What are you all doing?

Re: Old, new, borrowed, blue? What about you?

• Options
    Old: My grandmother's earrings from her wedding
    New: My dress
    Borrowed: My mom's wedding veil
    Blue: A blue flower on the garter

A borrowed suggestion could be a piece of jewelry (ex. brooch) to put in your bouquet. 
  • Options
    Something old: My grandmother's gold dipped orchid pendant/brooch (it can be worn as either). I'm having it pinned to my bouquet.
    Something new: My back necklace, since my dress has a keyhole back.

Something borrowed: Not sure yet. I may borrow my sister's garter.
    Something blue: Rhinestones on my shoes

I also have my name embroidered in blue on my bridal hankie, in case those rhinestones won't work with my shoes (I just ordered them).
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I thought it was traditional that your dress couldnt count as new? maybe thats just what I've heard.

Something old- A piece of my grandmother's jewelry or a pin attached to my bouquet.
    Something new-probably shoes
    Something blue-either garter or possibly toe nails
    Something borrowed- probably something from my mom but not sure what yet. most likely jewelry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Old: Grandma's ring
    New: My dress
    Borrowed: Either my grammy's pearl necklace or my mum's necklace.
    Blue: my BM dresses!
  • Options
    Old: Mom's shoes
    Borrowed: Mom's crinoline
    Blue: Garter and possibly my toenails
    New: veil, dress, jewelry, etc.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My mom and dad's cake topper was a hand blown glass heart with two glass wedding bells hanging from the center.  The heart part shattered a long time ago, but the bells survived.  My sister and I will each get one, but for our weddings we will have both bells tied on to our bouquet.  They are old, and I will borrow hers for the wedding and she will borrow mine.  They will be tied with a blue ribbon.  I will probably count my shoes as something new.

Side note: I'm also having the unmarried bridesmaids sign the soles of my shoes.  (An old Greek tradition) and the one that gets worn off the most at the end of the night is the next to get married.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    Old: my Grandmother's rosary which will be wrapped around my bouquet
    New: my dress
    Borrowed: a handkercheif from my Mom (unless we can come up with something better)

Blue: my garter
  • Options
    old:my grandmothers bible
    New: my dress
    borrowed: my mothers jewerly
    blue: garter

Don't forget about the sixpence for your shoe for good luck (my grandmothers thing).  My grandmother has sent me hers so I can have that too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If the dress doesn't count...how bout the rings...since that is the symbol of our new life together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Old: great-grandmother's bracelet
    New: Dress, Shoes, hair pin
    borrowed: mom's ring, grandma's necklace
    bue: dress, ring, garter belt
  • Options
    something old - mother-in-law's veil (also borrowed)
    something new - dress, earrings, shoes (I think my shoes will also be blue)
    something blue - mother-in-law's diamond and sapphire ring that my father-in-law gave to her when my FI was born (also borrowed, also as old as my FI).

• Options
    oops, forgot something borrowed!  My sister-in-laws pearl necklace.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Something old:  not sure yet.... we don't have a lot of handed down jewelry or mementos in my family.

Something new: my dress, jewelry, crinny

Something borrowed: not sure here either

Something blue:  Getting ready to ship my shoes off to be dyed NAVY blue! Can't wait to get them back.

I still have until September, so I guess I can keep looking
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Old: don't know yet
    New: Don't have this either
    Borrowed: Tiara from BM's wedding, possibly
    Blue: I found a beautiful necklace and bracelet set that was my great-grandmother's and it has HUGE blue stones in it.  I keep telling my mom that I need to wear it with my wedding dress as my "blue bling"  She is still looking at me like I'm an idiot.  But it could also be my something old!
  • Options
    I love how creative all you girls are!!! Here are mine - a little old fashioned and a little fun.
    Old: My grandmother has this great tradition. When she and grandpa got married in 1945, her mother made her dress. On her veil were 13 pearl flowers.....they had 13 granddaughters (and 4 grandsons). Each one is given a flower out of her veil. I'm including my as part of my flowers.
    New: My dress. :)
    Borrowed: We are borrowing the cake cutting set my parents used (married 34 years) and the champagne flute his parents used (married 43 years)
    Blue: I'm a Chicago Cubs fan and he is  STL Cards fan. It is a HUGE rivalry between our families. I bought a Chicago Cubs garter (Cubbie BLUE!!) and he doesn't know about it.....he'll find out that day. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards