May 2013 Weddings

Who gets gifts and for what?

Hi everyone!

These message boards have been most helpful as I was never really one of those girls who looked at wedding magazines and thought about dresses, etc. I am having fun planning though!

Here is my question: Who all do I get gifts for and for what?
Here is what I am already planning:

1. Mother/Mother-In-Law. We are having our ceremony and reception at an orchard that also has a greenhouse that will providing the plants, etc. Planning on getting each of them a nice rose tree or something that was used in the ceremony and a gift card for a nice dinner. Fiancé and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, but certainly they have offered good advice, etc.!

2. Bridesmaids/Maids of Honor. We have discussed this and everyone would like to get their cute shoes, jewelry and hair pieces as their gift. I will also buy them each a nice purse or clutch. (I know it isn't proper etiquette to buy them something used in the wedding, but several are in grad school, recently married, etc. and all are very happy to do it that way. 

3. Groomsmen. My fiancé will buy them something. No idea what yet. 

Anyway, do I also get my Maids of Honor a gift for hosting the bridal shower? Also, who pays for the shower? We are planning quite a small shower. Probably about ten people. But (regardless of the cost, of course) do I get them a gift? And do I give it to them that day? 

Do I host a separate brunch or something for the bridesmaids? Again, this is a very simple wedding. I am certainly not opposed to doing a brunch! Just want to get across the whole "feel" of the event.

Also... how do I put this???... I'm looking for very practical/small wedding advice. I see so many things people are doing that were never even a consideration for us. I'm assuming these things are for bigger weddings.  

Thank you so much for any advice! I appreciate it! :)

Re: Who gets gifts and for what?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_who-gets-gifts-and-for-what?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:f55bfcef-237e-4617-8944-6276b987a7e5Post:4c15db6b-4e5b-4514-aa3e-760fa125cef8">Who gets gifts and for what?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! These message boards have been most helpful as I was never really one of those girls who looked at wedding magazines and thought about dresses, etc. I am having fun planning though! Here is my question: <strong>Who all do I get gifts for and for what?</strong> Here is what I am already planning: 1. Mother/Mother-In-Law. We are having our ceremony and reception at an orchard that also has a greenhouse that will providing the plants, etc. Planning on getting each of them a nice rose tree or something that was used in the ceremony and a gift card for a nice dinner. Fiancé and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, but certainly they have offered good advice, etc.! 2. Bridesmaids/Maids of Honor. We have discussed this and everyone would like to get their cute shoes, jewelry and hair pieces as their gift. I will also buy them each a nice purse or clutch. (I know it isn't proper etiquette to buy them something used in the wedding, but several are in grad school, recently married, etc. and all are very happy to do it that way.  3. Groomsmen. My fiancé will buy them something. No idea what yet.  <strong>Anyway, do I also get my Maids of Honor a gift for hosting the bridal shower? Also, who pays for the shower? We are planning quite a small shower. </strong>Probably about ten people. But (regardless of the cost, of course) do I get them a gift? And do I give it to them that day?  Do I host a separate brunch or something for the bridesmaids? Again, this is a very simple wedding. I am certainly not opposed to doing a brunch! Just want to get across the whole "feel" of the event. Also... how do I put this???... I'm looking for very practical/small wedding advice. I see so many things people are doing that were never even a consideration for us. I'm assuming these things are for bigger weddings.   Thank you so much for any advice! I appreciate it! :)
    Posted by scully931[/QUOTE]

<div>You should get gifts for everyone in your bridal party to thank them for being there that day. We are also getting a gift for our reader and for our parents. </div><div>
    </div><div>Whoever offers to throw you a shower is who should pay for it. You should thank them in some way for hosting, either with a thank you card or a gift of some sort. My shower was a surprise so I'll be sending them a thank you gift rather than giving it to them that day. </div>

• We are getting gifts for the BM and GM, and for our parents.  My MOH will get something extra though for planning my shower and bachelorette parties. 

Not sure what FI plans on getting GM yet.

For my BM I am doing clutches filled with little girly things, lotion, nail polish, and maybe a gift card to Starbucks, also a thank-you note and a mini-schedule for the day-of.  I plan on giving them these at the shower.  Not sure what I plan on doing extra for MOH either, possibly a really nice piece of jewelry. 

Also not sure what we're doing for our parents... I should probably start thinking about that, lol. 
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • For a hostess gift to my bridesmaid who is helping my MOH plan the shower I think I'm going to do an edible arrangement. For my MOH I think I'm going to give her a gift card for a massage or something along those lines. Maybe you could do a gift card for a pedicure to her favorite place, movie tickets for a night out with her bf (if she has one), a cute picture frame with a picture of the two of you, you mentioned grad school so maybe a bookstore gift card (sounds lame but when I was in school that would've been gold!), a bottle of wine, just something you think she'd appreciate.
  • We are doing gifts for the BM and GM, parents, my grandma (she bought my dress and we are super close) and my FSIL as she is throwing my shower.  
    Wedding Countdown TickerLilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards