Catholic Weddings
Options

Pre-cana question

Hi Ladies,

Did you sign up for pre-cana through your parish, or just through the diocese? How far in advance did you need to sign up?

Thanks!
~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pre-cana question

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We signed up through a website in our diocese, at the recommendation of our priest. We did our pre-cana class about 3 months before the wedding and signed up for it about 2 months before that!
  • Options
    catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello!  Congrats on your engagement :)

I talked to the priest at my mother's church (where I got married at in Ohio) I think a week after I got engaged to see what their requirements were.  I lived in Colorado, so the priest told me to contact the parish where I was a member for pre-cana and paperwork, etc.

I was in Ohio visiting for Christmas, so I contacted them as soon as I got back to Colorado.  It was all within two weeks of getting engaged.

Some church's won't allow you to do your pre-cana, etc until 6 months before the wedding.  Some will let you do it whenever you're engaged.  I think it's better to at least talk to someone at the church right away so that you know if there are any things that may slow the process and they'll tell you if you can come in now or if you have to wait.

Don't book a reception site until the church is secured though... just in case.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! We have the church booked already, and even though we're a year out, I thought it'd be nice to go through the marriage prep sooner rather than later, as we have so much going on in the next year, and I want to be able to get the full benefit! 
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did it through the parish. We planned an out of state wedding as well, but we did everything at the church where we currently live and attend. Our priest here was in contact with the priest that married us to ensure all the requirements were fullfilled for the dioceses where we were married.

Edit: I guess we didn't actually do pre-cana either, but were required to do an EE weekend. We just had several meetings with the priest, which I consider our pre-cana even though I have heard it is actually a program as well.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parish didn't offer pre-cana.  My priest told us to Google Engaged Encounter for northern California, so that's what we did.  We were able to sign up and attend a weekend 2 month later.  After that, the priest told us if he wanted to meet with us for the FOCCUS or just a catch-up every so often.
  • Options
    jimanderinjimanderin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did it through our local church as well... just contacted the priest at our church and he sent us some forms to fill out. we actually just attended our pre-canna class this past weekend and it was amazing, so informative! we took the foccuss test as well and will be meeting with the counselor next week about that! WE are getting married at a church out of town so we went local instead of driving the two hours to where the precanna would have been with the church we are getting married at.

hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards