Wedding Invitations & Paper

What is necessary when sending invites

What is supposed to be included in the envelope when you send out the invitations. I am planning on purchasing within the next few months and I would like to have everything planned... 
I know the invitation, reply card, and directions... anything else etiquette wise?
Do i need to have a return address label that matches my invitation? Does the color of envelopes matter?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What is necessary when sending invites

• Also!! Should the invitation match your save the date?? 
    And is it cheesy to have a picture on the invitation or should it be a flat invitation with no personal photos? 
    And do you need to include an enclosure card?
  • 1) What do you mean by enclosure cards? Usually, the reception, rsvp and directions are considered encloser cards.

2)You don't need a directions card.

3) Is your reception info on your invite?

4) Are you ordering the invites through an invite company? They usually print your return address on the envelopes for you. If not, I'm not a fan of labels at all so I would use clear ones to try to hide the label best.

5) We used ivory envelopes I believe. They matched the invitations. You can use any color, but some colors would be harder to address and other colors I think can take away from the formality of the invite (if they're formal)/

6) Our invites didn't exactly match the save the dates. You can see pics of both in my bio (click on the for sale bio, and you can get to the paper section via the link on the left).

7) I think pictures on invitations are cheesy, but if that is what you like there is no reason you shouldn't.

imageimageimage
  • I have a return address stamp I will use (or get printing directly on my envelopes) rather than a label. It just looks better.

I don't think I've ever seen a photo with a wedding invitation. I think it would be less formal to do that.

Have as many enclosure cards as you want, within reason. Some people have a reception card (if the reception is at a separate location), a directions card, and even a miscellaneous card with accomodation infomation and your wedding website. And of course, a response card. All those seem a bit busy to me, but it's your wedding.

Don't put any information on the invitation other than the ceremony infomation. Other than that, you should be all set.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I think that photos on invitations aren't necessarily cheesy, but they are very informal.  Our invitations didn't match our STDs at all, except that the pattern of the ribbon on the invites was on the STDs.

Other enclosures that are sometimes included are accommodations cards, reception cards, travel cards, cards with website information, etc.  We're doing online RSVPs, so our only insert is a card directing guests to our website for all of that extra information.

I think it's best to print the information directly onto the envelopes, rather than to use labels.  You can maybe get a nice return address stamp to use, so you don't have to write or print each envelope.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_necessary-sending-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:79947902-e12e-4e5c-9c71-6e2a2ce86434Post:8b157443-eaee-4897-976c-9813aa27e1be">Re: What is necessary when sending invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]And vendor posts = bad and against knot policy.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

Ladies, I've banned/deleted.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Thanks everyone!!
    My ceremony and reception are at the same place so I think I'll be fine with an invitation, response card, directional card and accommodation card with my wedding website.
    The place supplies the directional cards so I might as well slip them in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards