Wedding Etiquette Forum

How to NOT invite family

I am not particularly close to my family-and I am inviting more friends than family. However, my family  that I am inviting keeps asking, "you're inviting so and so I hope?"

Its always awkward because "so and so" is part of the family I dont like or havent seen in x amount of years.

How do I politely say no I am not without offending anyone?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to NOT invite family

• "Well, we're keeping it very small." Then change the subject to avoid the "but they're FAMILY" response.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • People will always be disappointed .. but if you are following a rule.. you can always share it with them (ie. only relatives you have seen in the past year).

This method works for "plus ones" and age cut-offs so it should apply to your situation.  I just think if people knew what your cutoff was- the questions will stop.
  • I am in the same situation. My father keeps askiing if his uncle's are invited...um, yeah I've never even ,met them! I have a strange family believe me, but I just said no and changed the subject like PP said. GL becuase I know it's gonna get awkward.
  • The 'keeping it small due to venue size and budget' has been my standard line.  When my dad persisted, I followed up with, "FI cut a lot of people,too.  We elected to invite family and friends we speak to all the time; if they can't be bothered to keep in touch more than once a decade, they didn't make it, daddy, sorry."  It's awkward at first, but be persistent and just keep changing the subject.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards