Offbeat Weddings

Game of Thrones Wedding!

My fiance and I are very nerdy type people and wanted our wedding to reflect that while at the same time still being classy and something our parents won't cringe at. We landed upon the Game of Thrones theme and it seems perfect! Now I just need help with some ideas. In what ways can we incorporate the theme? And what kind of venue would work best?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Game of Thrones Wedding!

• As long as you aren't blondes...
    Create your own "house" animal/motif to go on invitations, print on banners, etc.  I would choose my own color and animal that is a favorite of you and FI, unless you guys really love one of the GOT houses.  
    Serve lots of beer and wine.
    Offer buffet style food with carving stations, maybe?  
    Commision a special cake--I've seen one online that looked exactly like the iron throne. 

• Did you see the post Balletdawn made? It's still on the first page of this board. She posted a link that seemed conflicted--the article claimed there were 3 themes that shouldn't be done at a wedding, and Game of Thrones was one of them, haha. But all the pictures they posted were really awesome and, in fact, it seemed the article was praising them. There were a lot of cool ideas. Here's the link that she posted:

http://living.msn.com/love-relationships/weddings/3-themes-that-shouldnt-inspire-your-wedding
  • I was about to suggest that same article! I don't agree with the 'you shouldn't do', I think most themes can be done if done tactfully!
  •  I would think what you want to potray : the castles, the woods, the north, the dothraki feilds.

My invitations would state the joining of the houses _____ and _____ . You could use normal wording with the twist of again " the house of___."  The more i think about it i would have the invitations written on parchment and sealed with wax or a seal. 

If you read the books then you know that each house has its own banner and the retainers have banners and not all banners are animals. If you can find enough kids you should have each person in the party with own banner and the kids carry the banner in front or next to the person. As people line up at the alter hang or place the banners to frame the location. Id make a 2 ring banner for behind the preacher.

Id have the rings brought in on a grand pillow with 4 tassels and a button in the middle.

id would use natural fabrics and rich fabrics, embrodary,  small crystals for the clothing, linens, and decorations.

Id do a handfasting with the hands tied togeather with ribbon. Id see how the weddings are preformed in the book and take inspiration from it 

Id have bench seating for the ceremony and reception. I would have oblong tables with candleabras in the middle. 

Id entertain with some sort of joust/ games 
    Id get your guests to dress up
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_game-of-thrones-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:3baef0f6-f18d-4c07-bfd8-75ea366b8304Post:e21f5ef8-fad9-40ba-9b36-ef6899cb4879">Re: Game of Thrones Wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I would think what you want to potray : the castles, the woods, the north, the dothraki feilds. My invitations would state the joining of the houses _____ and _____ . You could use normal wording with the twist of again " the house of___."  The more i think about it i would have the invitations written on parchment and sealed with wax or a seal.  If you read the books then you know that each house has its own banner and the retainers have banners and not all banners are animals. If you can find enough kids you should have each person in the party with own banner and the kids carry the banner in front or next to the person. As people line up at the alter hang or place the banners to frame the location. Id make a 2 ring banner for behind the preacher. Id have the rings brought in on a grand pillow with 4 tassels and a button in the middle. id would use natural fabrics and rich fabrics, embrodary,  small crystals for the clothing, linens, and decorations. Id do a handfasting with the hands tied togeather with ribbon. Id see how the weddings are preformed in the book and take inspiration from it  Id have bench seating for the ceremony and reception. I would have oblong tables with candleabras in the middle.  Id entertain with some sort of joust/ games  Id get your guests to dress up
    Posted by artisticjewishbride2013[/QUOTE]

Some awesome ideas!
  • I would pick a house that was my favorite (mine is Stark- I'd have direwolves all over the place!) or like PP stated, make up your own house and sigl! I bet this is going to be an awesome wedding. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks for the suggestions! We have decided to make out own house, that way we can choose our own colors and those colors would be the colors of the wedding. But we'll have our guests representing the other houses.

We definitely want the reception to be like a banquet hall with benches and I'll definitely research more into the weddings in the books.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Zen037Zen037 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2014
    I'm also doing ASOI&F wedding! It won't be a direct theme, for the people who don't know it, we're keeping it more a medieval feel, with a few direct game of thrones things. We're writing our own vows and including the line "I am hers/his and she/he is mine. From this day until the end of our days." We'll be doing a lot of candles, making our own family crest for the save the dates and invitations, one or two long, wide dinner tables for our guests...little things like that. Our seating chart will be on a map of Westeros, with a list of guests sitting under each "house" section that will be labeled on the tables. We'll be serving wine, ale, mead and one or two specialty drinks like a shot of ice and fire, and using a carving table for the meal. It should still be a classy, but beautiful wedding, with just enough of the things we love from game of thrones to make it a memorable ceremony/reception. I hope this helps. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards