Connecticut

I learned my lesson....NWR

I went to the beach today with one of my BM's and it was cloudy, extremely foggy, and a little chilly when I got there so dumb me didn't put on sunscreen.  I sat in the chair the entire day and got totally FRIED!!!!  I haven't gotten this burnt in a very long time, if ever.  Had this been next year it would have been 2 days before my wedding.  Let that be a lesson to me (and everyone else)....wear sunscreen!!!! 

Re: I learned my lesson....NWR

• edited December 2011
    Wear sunscreen and reapply every hour - I learned that, LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    I learned my lesson in Aruba on my HM of all places lol...DH and I didn't bring any with us because I couldn't find travel sized bottles of it and we thought TSA would probably confiscate it from us anway if we brought the bigger bottle.  So when we got down there we bought SPF 10 (I'd been going tanning for the wedding, figured I might have enough of a base not to burn, we wanted to get a tan and not totally block it).  THAT was our first mistake.  Not reapplying regularly was our second mistake.  We both got totally fried, of course.  We up'd it to SPF 30.  However, the damage was done and towards the end of the week, I started to peel where I'd burned earlier in the week, and then I burned again on my peel/sensitive second layer of skin!  VERY PAINFUL and VERY GROSS!

Lesson learned! lol (oh, and sunscreen down there is like $15+ a bottle!  Because it's such a necessity, they jack up the price like crazy!)
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think people always forget that you can still get burned when it is cloudy out.  I am pretty fair skinned, so sunscreen is usually a must for me.  I have gotten some bad sun burns before.  But you are right, at least it is not a year from now (not sure if you will be thinking about going to the beach to relax a couple days before your wedding anyways with everything going on).
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Yikes! I never had a sunburn until last year when I went in a tanning bed (can you believe it, 25 years of my life without a burn!) But that tanning bed left me burnt to a crisp and in so much pain! I learned my lesson too. I starting getting spray tans after that, and the spray tan lady that I use is amazing! The safest way to tan :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    Ouch!! I hate sunburns!! I usually dont burn either but on our last trip to Florida in May I totally fried and so did FI.. We were miserable and laying in bed each night was pretty funny.. Every time we touched we were like dont touch me.. stay away from me... not exactly the romantic night time we had hoped for! lol :)
    imageAnniversary Vacation
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    Lesson learned! lol (oh, and sunscreen down there is like $15+ a bottle!  Because it's such a necessity, they jack up the price like crazy!)
    Posted by Karebear852k3[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh yeah! Last summer on our cruise FI laughed at me because we brought like 15 bottles of spray sunscreen.  A lot of it came home with us, but it would have been marked up like crazy if we had to buy it on the ship.
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    Kfesta:  Where do you get your spray tan?  I was thinking about doing that next summer if I don't have a tan by the wedding.  Obviously I would want to go someplace reputable.
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Be careful!  Studies also show that skin cancer is on the rise even when you use sunscreen.  It sounds so dorky but the best way to make sure you keep your skin healthy is to avoid the sun and be in the shade.  I know someone who lost her sister to skin cancer when the sister was in her early 30s.

Now that I have DD, she's in hats or under umbrellas as often as possible when we have to be outside.
  • edited December 2011
    I did the exact same thing and my first thought was good thing this wasn't next year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards