Snarky Brides

WR: Make-up Question

I realized today that the wedding is in 8 days and I have no idea what I am doing for make-up. I normally just wear foundation and lip gloss, nothing else. The first picture is of me wearing absolutely no make-up. The 2nd picture is of me wearing what I would wear on a typical night out. Is this enough for the wedding, or do I need more? Does this look OK or is there something I could do better? I admittedly know nothing about make-up. I know some of you ladies are really good with make-up so I figued I'd ask.

No make-up

Make-up

Re: WR: Make-up Question

• You're cute!

I have no makeup advice really.  I did my normal lip tint, and then added eyeliner and mascara so my eyes would show up nicely in the pics.  That's it.  I don't normally choose to wear makeup and wanted to just look like me.
  • annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    I think your make-up in the second picture looks really good, you look fresh and natural and your skin looks great. I think that's enough if you want it to be enough.

If you want to do something a little more you could fill in your brows with brown eyeshadow. It would just make you eyes a little more defined. I also think more mascara is always better, but that's probably just me.
  • I think you look gorgeous!  You are cute as a button btw.  *waves*
    panther
  • I think you look very pretty with the make-up in that picture. I personally think brides should wear their normal make-up on their wedding day because it's "them" or maybe a tiny bit more than normal. I hate going to weddings where the bride who never wears much make-up has crazy smoky eyes and looks like a different person.
    5/27/12
  • Personally, I'd wear more but not cake it on - you still want to look like you. Photographers always recommend a bit heavier makeup then usual so it shows up in photos and what not. Plus you'll be wearing it all day, and not just for a few hours.

Anniversary
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    I had a MUA too.  Flash photography requires a little more makeup than usual, adn I wasn't comfortable doing it myself.  You're adorable in the picture with your normal makeup.  If anything, I'd follow Anna's advice and go with a little brow definition and extra mascara.
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    You are so cute! You have really nice skin and it looks very natural and fresh in the second photo. You have a very 'natural' look about you, so I think too much makeup might look a little out of place on you.
  • You're adorable! (In a womanly way, of course)

I like your make-up in the second picture, however I'd go with a slightly darker lip.
    imageimage
  • Aw, thanks everyone. You are all so sweet.

A few people said to go with a little more make-up, but what does that even mean? More what?

I would like to do more mascara. I just have a sample Estee Lauder one that I was using. What would be a good mascara to buy, preferably waterproof?
  • annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    I love Maybelline mascara. Specifically the Volum' Express line. I've used just about all of them and they all work well. I HATE waterproof mascara, so I can't really rec any, but I've cried in my mascara a few times without it running. I also don't use it on my bottom lashes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-up-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:954e2875-1c17-4752-ba73-a4b56aef0227Post:ec8b6adf-ef52-4198-9a2f-ecf038f5efd2">Re: WR: Make-up Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aw, thanks everyone. You are all so sweet. A few people said to go with a little more make-up, but what does that even mean? More what? I would like to do more mascara. I just have a sample Estee Lauder one that I was using. What would be a good mascara to buy, preferably waterproof?
    Posted by OutOfTheBlue612[/QUOTE]

Darker lip. That's my answer. Too much eye make-up will make you look like a whore. I'm biased because I'm not a huge fan of eye make-up (because it makes me look like a whore).
    imageimage
  • Ditto Anna and the no bottom lashes thing. I've found that when you cry with waterproof mascara it just makes your lashes all clumpy looking.
    imageimage
  • edited May 2011
    I second and third the just a little bit more make-up then normal. I was skeptical, until I had my b-pics done and I realized just how good it looks in photographs. So I didn't hesitate to go full on for the wedding. And I'm glad I did.

Plus, as long as the day is going to be you want to make sure it doesn't sweat off. A little heavier on the eyeliner, a darker lip, maybe a little more blush. And make sure to use powder to seal it all.

You are adorable! Wish I could pull of short hair like that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-up-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:954e2875-1c17-4752-ba73-a4b56aef0227Post:9ee7225e-cd0c-4550-8e5b-14be9136ad54">Re: WR: Make-up Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: Make-up Question : Darker lip. That's my answer. Too much eye make-up will make you look like a whore. I'm biased because I'm not a huge fan of eye make-up (because it makes me look like a whore).
    Posted by JenGin74[/QUOTE]

Well arent you? I mean I rang the whore bell and you came running!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-up-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:954e2875-1c17-4752-ba73-a4b56aef0227Post:e7d45723-ab63-4820-a621-38d404a37332">Re: WR: Make-up Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: Make-up Question : Well arent you? I mean I rang the whore bell and you came running!
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

Shhhhh!! I'm incognito. I'm not wearing my slut make-up today  :P
    imageimage
  • Oh yeah, if I try to go too heavy with the eys it's majorly whore-ish. Probably because I'm so pale.

Ok, so I'm thinking new mascara, but not waterproof. And I'll just skip the bottom lashes. A bit more eyeliner. I was quite conservative with the eye liner. And a slightly darker lip. I own 2 lip glosses, one the color in the picture and one a pale peach. No more blush though. When I am excited, I get very flushed quite easily.

Isn't there some Dior mascara that people were going crazy over? Any lip gloss recs?

Looks like a trip to Sephora is in my future.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-up-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:954e2875-1c17-4752-ba73-a4b56aef0227Post:24ffb13b-1bdd-43fc-9d2a-9e125e78c85b">Re: WR: Make-up Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, if I try to go too heavy with the eys it's majorly whore-ish. Probably because I'm so pale. Ok, so I'm thinking new mascara, but not waterproof. And I'll just skip the bottom lashes. A bit more eyeliner. I was quite conservative with the eye liner. And a slightly darker lip. I own 2 lip glosses, one the color in the picture and one a pale peach. No more blush though. When I am excited, I get very flushed quite easily. Isn't there some Dior mascara that people were going crazy over? Any lip gloss recs? Looks like a trip to Sephora is in my future.
    Posted by OutOfTheBlue612[/QUOTE]

Here's my suggestion --

Dark brown eyeliner on top lid only
    Black mascara on top lashes
    Berry colored lipstick (not lipgloss)
    Powder to absorb oil etc.

You'll look polished, but not overdone
    imageimage
  • marateamaratea member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-up-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:954e2875-1c17-4752-ba73-a4b56aef0227Post:4fcd8fd3-5842-44f6-97ab-fe5c9b62e79e">Re: WR: Make-up Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: Make-up Question : Here's my suggestion -- Dark brown eyeliner on top lid only Black mascara on top lashes Berry colored lipstick (not lipgloss) Powder to absorb oil etc. You'll look polished, but not overdone
    I was going to say almost exactly this. Especially on the lip color. If you don't like lipstick, try a lip stain, but gloss will wear off very quickly.
  • marateamaratea member
    I forgot to add, if you don't want to wear powder, you can get oil blotting papers. Those things are a godsend (for me anyways).
  • annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    Lipstain is awesome. It's just like little markers, but for your lips. It's much easier to deal with than lipstick too.
  • I would kill for your skin! 

I'm a huge fan of Clinique's waterproof mascara.  I agree with the top lashes only thing as well.  For lips, I went with my favorite berry tinted/flavored gloss after giving my lips a gentle "scrub" with a damp washcloth and it worked out great for me. 
  • Honestly? I just stalked your bio and your wedding is one week away. I don't really think now is the time to learn or experiment with new products. I wouldn't do anything you wouldn't normally do, you wouldn't want a product breaking you out just experimenting with it the week before the wedding!

I think your second picture looks fine. I would take a few body shots from far away with FI's smiling face in there too, and see if everything you want to show up shows up. You may want more mascara or a little more lip color, but don't go overboard if you don't want to or feel comfortable . I agree with PP's that say you are cute as a button. 

FWIW, I toned down my daily make-up for my wedding, and I wish I would've drawn on my eyebrows a leeetle darker for the pictures, but otherwise I was happy with the 'natural' look.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wr-up-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:954e2875-1c17-4752-ba73-a4b56aef0227Post:4fcd8fd3-5842-44f6-97ab-fe5c9b62e79e">Re: WR: Make-up Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR: Make-up Question : Here's my suggestion -- Dark brown eyeliner on top lid only Black mascara on top lashes Berry colored lipstick (not lipgloss) Powder to absorb oil etc. You'll look polished, but not overdone
    I think that's exactly what I'll do. Pretty much the same as the pic, with a little more liner/mascara and a darker lip.

I have used a lip stain before, I think it was smashbox, and I really liked it. That one was used up ages ago. I realized after I took the picture that my lip gloss was gone about 30 minutes later. I definitely want something that will last better than that. I'm not a huge fan of lip stick though, so I think lip stain is the way to go.

Is cheap drug store powder good enough? I never wear powder. I'll probably pick up the oil blotting sheets too.

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone.
  • The Physicians Formula mineral powder is pretty good for drug store stuff. It doesn't get cakey or make your skin look fake.
    imageimage
  • I just bought Maybelline's "Falsies" mascara in black. The non waterproof one lasted through a spin class without running, so I think it would be pretty safe. (I've been testing mascara/ eye makeup at the gym for awhile). I've been wearing it daily since Monday and so far I love it.

If you're doing a Sephora run, don't forget that they allow returns of open/ used products. I'm not recommending you return everything you buy, but it helps when you realize that you hate or are allergic to a product.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I agree with all the other ladies about adding a little more eyeliner.  Your skin looks fantastic.  I don't know if they scare you, but an eyelash curler is my personal best friend and is an easy way to not need a ton of makeup but still look bright and fresh.
  • I think that the makeup looks beautiful. So fresh, light and gorgeous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards