Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding venue's filed for Chapter 11

My FI and I are planning our wedding in NYC (destination wedding for us) -we just got back from looking at venues and while googling today, I just saw that our #1 contender (link) is filing for bankruptcy!  Ack.  

It's technically going to to continue to operate, but would anyone else be nervous about this? It would be pretty high risk, no? Am I insane to still be considering booking the venue? Our wedding's not until May 2012, so that's a long time for things to get worse...

Re: Wedding venue's filed for Chapter 11

• I would not book a wedding with this place.  You have no idea what can happen as their bankruptcy goes through the system.  I wouldn't risk it.
  • You'd be crazy to book that venue. 

Seriously.
  • Please don't risk it.  It's a huge gamble.  You put a deposit down, they file for bankruptcy, there is NO way you're getting that deposit back. 

This has been known to happen to brides who put deposits down on wedding gowns, and then the salon goes under.  They lose everything -- deposit AND gown.  You are better off picking a slightly less picturesque venue that is in better shape financially.  GL.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Marina,
    You'd be taking a huge risk.  Even with a carefully written contract (presuming they'd agree to any changes in their standard one), if something happened and the venue wasn't able to continue in business you'd have to line up with everyone else to attempt to get recompense or if they had a secondary venue to take the place of their own in the case of inability to provide a space.  Imagine what it would be llike to have to struggle to find a venue in only a few short months or weeks, argue with a venue who has competing events, or the inability to get back a deposit for months or years in court arbitration, and those are just a few possibilities.
    Given that your wedding is May 2012, you still have some time to find a suitable venue in your budget. 
    Good luck with your decision.
    "It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Le sigh.

The deposit is only $1000, but I'd be nervous about risking losing the venue close to the date - would be a bit of a nightmare to scramble to find something at the last minute.

•   It is too big of a risk to take with your wedding!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Definitely no. The bankruptcy code is very unkind, you don't want to get into that mess
  • If your wedding was within 6 months I might say go for it, since bankruptcy doesn't necessarily mean closing.  But so much can change within a year.  You don't want them to close 3 months before the wedding and leave you scrambling.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    I agree with dnb.  Don't take the risk, there's too much time for the place to go under in the next year.
  • I know it sucks to have to pick somewhere else when you were in love with this one but it's too big of a risk. Don't do it.
    Anniversary
  • A few places here did that and shut their doors without giving brides any notice.  Brides were out of a venue a week before their wedding, paid in full, and didnt get their money back.

i wouldnt book it
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards