Retro and Vintage Weddings

cake stands

hey girls. so we are doing a cupcake display and a small round cake for us.
we cant decide whether to do one big cupcake display, i've seen the stands available online for that  OR do multiple cake stands (a more vintagey feel)
opinions?
are cake stands really expensive?
we are inviting around 130 ppl so thinking maybe 200 cupcakes total
decisions, decicions.
thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: cake stands

• a gal on the diy board just showed us one she made herself, and it's awesome! she took candle sticks and then epoxy'd plates on to them ,the sticks were different heights and it looked awesome all the peices she used were vintage and from good will! soooo cool.
    here are a few vintage syle cake stands at good prices,
    replacements.com has a lot, they carry old china patterns
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/PFAVIFLO.htm?s1=gbase&3802565&

this antique place had this one
    http://www.laurelleaffarm.com/pages/kitchen&table/ivory-glass-cake-stand.htm

also check garage and yard sales you might get lucky :)
  • You'll have to really shop around I think to find a lot of cake stands for cheap but it can be done.  Otherwise, it might be cheaper/easier to just do a cupcake stand and decorate it yourself.  I have to say, the vintage cake stands some of these girls are making are gorgeous though.
  • I second replacements.com, just make sure you know that the diameter of your cake with fit the plate. I wanted milkglass for mine but the diameter is the same as the cake.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I wanted a black cake stand and couldn't find one big enough. I found a container and a large serivng plate sprayed them black and epoxyed them together. I think it costs me $12 for the project. I think there's a pic in my bio.

I think the idea of thrifting candle holders and plates is really cute. Do you need to have all of the cupcakes on stands? Maybe you could do some on stands and some on regular vintage plates.
  • Two hundred cupcakes will take up a lot of space!  (Last Halloween, I could only fit 6 or 8 on a large platter.)  So here's what I would suggest:

Have one, central LARGE cupcake display stand, then put one vintage cake stand on each side (they can be different heights).  Put your small cake in front of the central stand (so that you can show it off), and if you have extra cupcakes after that, just scatter them across the table, in the same area.  

I love the look of the 6 tier cupcake stand that was in The Knot Summer 2010.  (Page 67, in Jung & Zach's wedding, entitled "Lakeside Rustic.)  I was able to find a posting of the photos online.  The main page is at:
    weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/66667/view.aspx?type=1&id=66667

and the cupcake stand, specifically, is at:
    weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/66674/detailview.aspx?type=3&id=66674&7&count=8&copos=5

(You can copy and paste those links, if they don't work when you click on them.)

I couldn't find a source listed for the cupcake stand, but it would probably be easy to make, for someone who knows how to do woodworking.  Then just paint (and maybe decorate?) it.

BTW, here in Southern California, I see vintage cake stands for sale at swap meets all the time, and they're almost always very affordable.  And, of course, if you don't have good swap meets near you, you can always try Ebay!

Anyway, those are my thoughts! 

• I agree that you could make some very pretty and inexpensive ones by finding vintage plates and gluing bases (candlesticks/goblets/etc...) to them. I think Nukke is going this route.

Also, it may not be necessary to display every single cupcake. You could have a few displays, and then have someone bring the rest out on a simple platter when the time comes to actually serve them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If anyone is looking for cupcake stands.. save-on-crafts.com has varying hights and sizes.. they are easily decorated to match the theme of the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards