Students
Options

Any online students--can I get your advice?

I'm contemplating pursuing a Master's in Library Science through an accredited and ALA-certified online program.  It would be convenient so that my future husband and I could both definitelty have work in our current location.  I would be working 3/4 time while also taking online classes. 

I have already been accepted into the program.  I have only taken one semi-online class and didn't get much out of it.  I learn best in a classroom.  But I've heard that a good online teacher can make the class good and I know I could put the extra effort into the independent work.  They also work to set up a library practicum with a library in your area so you can get the hands-on experience.

So tell me: how have your online class experiences been?  Are you glad you did it?  Do you wish you had gone to a traditional, face-to-face class or program?  Has anyone done their whole graduate degree online?  Do you feel you got a good enough education to be qualified and well-trained in your field?

I'm really looking to see what others' experiences have been so that I can make a more well-informed decision of my own. 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Any online students--can I get your advice?

• Options
    Hi! Congrats first of all on being accepted to the program. Library Sciences is a good field to be in. As for my experience with online courses, I tried taking them during university and I just could not learn well from them. They are as valuable as in person classes, but I just preferred being there in class being able to discuss the subjects with other students and professors. But that was just my personal preference, I still believe that online courses are a great way for some people to do their education, I have friends that love them. It just really comes down to which method helps you enjoy the learning more.
    171 Were Invited to the fun!image
    141 Are ready to party! image
    30 Have other plans! image
    0 Haven't checked their mailbox yet! image
  • Options
    I took a few classes online - Organic Chem (which was awful) and Health Policy in America (which was better)

I think if you know that you learn better face to face, you already have your answer.  I did not learn science well online, but the policy class was better... I did not do an entire program online... 

FI is going back to school slowly but surely and his online experiences (english and chem) have ben far from ideally as well... chem went fine, but his english prof died in the middle of the semester and it took a long time for the school to decide to honor the grades thus far (they were past mid-terms) and then to offer a free class to the students...
  • Options
    I took one online class in high school, and it was probably my favorite class since kindergarten. I learned (and retained!) more there than I had in any other class- ever!

Now that I'm in college, I've taken a few classes online, and have had mixed experiences. I took a philosophy class from which I learned nothing, a science class in which I learned, but the teacher ruined the experience for me, and two history classes that were absolutely wonderful.

It all depends on chemistry- whether the teacher is good for online classes, whether the curriculum of the online class works with you, whether you need social interraction or foucs better alone. I honeslty think online classes can be great- just not all the time.

Congrats, and best of luck!!
  • Options

In my paralegal program at the community college, I have taken some online classes. I love online classes. I have learned from them. Although tough classes like math, and Bankruptcy & Collections should be face to face. I did learn some in Bankruptcy, but I didn't unsterstand it very well.
  • Options
    I am doing my Master's in Language Education through Indiana University.  I've been teaching for five years and have tenure (and my pension!) to think about, so relocating to attend a great program really wasn't an option.  I've had amazing classes so far--it feels like a "real" classroom experience, although the online classes are definitely more difficult than regular classes.  My professors know how long I've been online, they have a record of every post/reference I've made, etc.  Also, it seems like the online classes have no boundaries in regards to due dates because (they figure) everyone has internet.  All in all, it's been a great experience for me, but I don't think it's for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards