Not Engaged Yet

Accutane? (and the generic form, apparently)

So my doc is thinking of putting me on Accutane for a non-acne reason that's a bit too insane to write about here, but Accutane has been shown to help...

I'm interested in any experiences you all can tell me about being a woman on Accutane?  Apparently, it's very bad to get pregnant on Accutane (I seriously have to sign like 5 consent forms that say I WON'T get pregnant and that I'll have monthly pregnancy tests...it's kinda intimidating)

I've heard the rumors of it being the "suicide" drug, but I did date a guy in high school that was on it that was fine.  I'm mainly interested in how it's different in girls...cause this book they gave me to read makes it seem like it might be.

Anything you can let me know will help (still 6 weeks until the doc & I go through with this, so any questions I should ask would be great too!)
I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton

Re: Accutane? (and the generic form, apparently)

• tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    haha I started reading her blog after someone on here suggested it... Maybe you?
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know a lot about it. I have 1 friend who was on it twice when she was in high school (we didn't meet until University), and it did work for her for acne. She had to go on birth control and get regular blood tests and so on too I believe. I've seen commercials on TV about Accutane being a potential cause of IBS, Crohns disease and a couple others like that. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but my friend did develop IBS after being on Accutane.

I think it's kind of nasty stuff with a lot of potentially really bad side effects, so definitely read that book you were given. BF's doctor tried to put him on it for acne when he was a teenager. He wanted nothing to do with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info, girls.  I'm sort of terrified of needles, so I might have to talk to the doctor about this whole monthly blood test requirement.  Yea, I want to be healthy, but it's almost not worth it for me to be psychotic once a month.

I'm reading the blog now :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't really give any experience from a female perspective, but I can tell you about stuff BF went through when he took it. He took it twice, and he still has some problems with acne.

BF had all the typical side effects like cracked lips and an occasional bloody nose.  It also dried out the skin on his arms so that he ended up with spots that looked like sores, and they were very painful. His face also became very flushed, and it looked like he had a perpetual sunburn. In terms of mental side effects, I wouldn't say it made him suicidal, but he was quicker to anger when he was using it.

Also, if you decide to take it, watch your Vitamin A intake. Accutane is similar to Vitamin A, so you can get something similar Vitamin A poisoning, especially when you eat a lot of it. BF randomly took a children's gummi vitamin when he was on it, and he ended up puking for several days straight.

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_accutane-generic-form-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:3762f7c7-50af-45e8-9bdb-5a00ef6d3542Post:b63b8142-f35d-45d5-bdd4-3af1fde99a30">Re: Accutane? (and the generic form, apparently)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't really give any experience from a female perspective, but I can tell you about stuff BF went through when he took it. He took it twice, and he still has some problems with acne. BF had all the typical side effects like cracked lips and an occasional bloody nose.  It also dried out the skin on his arms so that he ended up with spots that looked like sores, and they were very painful. His face also became very flushed, and it looked like he had a perpetual sunburn. In terms of mental side effects, I wouldn't say it made him suicidal, but he was quicker to anger when he was using it.  <strong>Also, if you decide to take it, watch your Vitamin A intake. Accutane is similar to Vitamin A, so you can get something similar Vitamin A poisoning, especially when you eat a lot of it. BF randomly took a children's gummi vitamin when he was on it, and he ended up puking for several days straight.</strong>
    Posted by sparkles88[/QUOTE]

This sounds pretty terrible, thanks for the advice.  I'm not sure if there are any other options for my disease, unfortunately, but at least I know all the scary things that CAN happen if we go the accutane route.  It sounds kinda horrific, honestly...
  • edited December 2011
    I took Accutane when I was in middle school. I tried lots of things to get rid of my acne, and finally my family doctor sent me to a dermatologist who eventually prescribed Accutane. I never had any side effects at all, and I never had to take blood tests either. My acne went completely away and it has been gone ever since!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_accutane-generic-form-apparently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:3762f7c7-50af-45e8-9bdb-5a00ef6d3542Post:97011a82-826e-4233-b945-997d25c3d810">Re: Accutane? (and the generic form, apparently)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took Accutane when I was in middle school. I tried lots of things to get rid of my acne, and finally my family doctor sent me to a dermatologist who eventually prescribed Accutane. I never had any side effects at all, and I never had to take blood tests either. My acne went completely away and it has been gone ever since!
    Posted by mookow86[/QUOTE]

Mookow, I really want to go to your doctor, haha.  This giant book I'm supposed to read is effective as of 2007, so it might be newer than your middle school days.  Totally didn't realize you're in Pittsburgh, but we were just there on vacay.  The Pirates lost, but the Science Center was super fun!
  • edited December 2011
    Ah yeah it seems things have changed a bit since I took it.

Ah I can't believe you were in PIttsburgh! It really is a great city, glad you enjoyed it! Did you get to eat anywhere cool?
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

edited December 2011
    we had pizza at fiori's and had a primanti bros sandwich at the game..does that count? :)
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently on it, but only have been for about a week. The main side effect you can expect is dry skin/lips, and after that the rest are rare and no one is even sure they're related to Accutane.

As for the blood tests, you only need two. One before starting it and one about a month after starting to make sure your liver handles it OK. After that you just have to take a monthly pregnancy test.

The only difference for men vs. women on it is the pregnancy thing, because it does cause serious birth defects.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards