Wedding Etiquette Forum

How to word Invitations to a Second Reception in the same state

Hi,

We're getting married on Saturday 8/25 and will be having a ceremony and a reception on that day at a winery.  To help keep costs manageable since I have a very large family, we've only invited family and close friends to the ceremony and reception on Sat.  We are hosting a second reception/thank you BBQ the next day on Sunday 8/26.  All of the guests who are invited to the ceremony on Sat, are welcome to come to the second reception on Sunday.

I’d like to include an insert with information about the second reception on Sunday with the formal invitations that we’re sending to those invited to the ceremony.  I have added a spot on the RSVP card so they can indicate whether or not they will be attending this second reception.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to word the insert?  And also how to word an invitation to people who we’re only inviting to the second reception?

Thank you

Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 223 invited
image 139 are ready to party!
image 87 have better things to do
image 4 cannot find the mailbox

RSVP Date: July 20

Re: How to word Invitations to a Second Reception in the same state

• strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2012
    Usually second receptions are only held for people who were invited but unable to attend the wedding.

If you want to have a second party, make it a non-wedding event and don't make any mention of it in your wedding invitations.

ETA:  Ditto, Eagles.
  • How is it saving you money to host two receptions?  Everyone should be invited to the ceremony and both receptions, unless you're having a private ceremony, which it doesn't really sound like you are.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • I also don't get the 2nd reception. If you want to hang out with the people who didn't make the cut for the wedding, then just throw a non-wedding party at your place. Have some drinks, some good food, and just relax with your friends--both those who were invited and those who weren't. Just don't make it a wedding party.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • You need to invite everyone to everything.  You can't invite people to the ceremony and then not invite them to the reception the same day.  That is terribly rude.  Scrap the second reception and invite everyone to the first reception the day of the wedding.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I guess i shouldn't call it a second reception then - it's a thank you tpye bbq for the two sets of families to get to know each other better, and also to invite our local friends who we were unable to invite to the ceremony.  my sister is hosting the bbq - its at a park.  my family - is about 130 people - first cousins and aunts and uncles on my mom and dad's side combined ( this doesn't include the grooms family yet).  they are all travelling from out of state and from out of the country. since the ceremony/reception is 5 hours long or so - we wanted to have additional time if folks want to stay in the area.  I didn't mean for it to come out like people are second class - we just couldnt afford to have more people at the ceremony, so we thought having a bbq could be a way for us to have more people join and also for everyone to try some traditional food from my country. the only reason there's an rsvp slot on the formal invitations is for a better head count so we can make/buy enough food.

is this just a bad idea all the way around?  how can i re-word?  my intention is not to have people feel left out or feel like second class people.  i just have a significanlty large family, so we just count afford to have anone other than family there pretty much. 

what can i do differenly?  thus far the only mention on this is on the RSVP card on the invitaitons that looks like:

The favor of a reply is requested by

the twentieth of July, two thousand twelve

M

Number of persons attending ______________

Unable to attend _________

Number of persons attending on Sunday July Twenty-sixth  ______

Semi-formal attire is requested.

the bbq will be casual

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 223 invited

• can i just say please join us for a bbq on sunday august 26th and send that to everyone? both those who are invited to the wedding and those that arent?

is it rude to add it into the envelopes with the invitations to the folks invited to the wedding? and then mail the same note to everyone else in it's own envelope?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 223 invited

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards