Not Engaged Yet

My dog

Lately my dog has seemed very mad at me and I can't quite figure out why, but its making me sad.

The only thing I can think of is that she is either mad at me cause we left her at my dad's house while we were making our Christmas family rounds. Or because we took her to the groomer and got her shaved as soon as we got home because she decided it would be a great idea to roll in cow poop.

Usually she comes and greets me as soon as I walk in the door and at least stays in the same room as me almost the entire night, but right now she is the exact opposite.

Any suggestions on making her get over it and like me again? Or have any of your animals done this to you? And just for good measure here is a pic of my guy giving her some lovin.

Re: My dog

• edited December 2011

Aww cute pic. Dogs are usually pretty easy. If you take him out for a nice long walk as soon as you get home. That definitely associates your arrival with good things and gives you guys some bonding time. BF and I had similar problems getting our dog to stay with us in the house after he had spent some time with my Dad. We did some reading and the way we learned to deal with it was just using treat reinforcement, just as if you’re teaching them a trick. Keep some low-calorie treats on you (like his kibble) and every time he joins you in a room give him a treat. It sounds like you’re buying their love, but it’s just how dogs learn.

Let me know how things go : )

• edited December 2011
    I work at a camp all summer long and leave my cats at home. My mom comes over twice a day to love on them, feed them, and all that. I come home on the weekends to be with them.

My one cat doesn't care. My other cat will start doing things like not use the litter box or tear up the toilet paper rolls. I have found that if I search her out and love on her each day for as long as she will tolerate it, she slowly comes back around. I also give her special treats. And, usually at night the cats get shut out of the bedroom, but I let them sleep with me after I get home. It takes a couple of weeks, but she slowly either forgets or forgives me :)
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • edited December 2011
    It makes me sad to think of my dog not rushing to the door when I get home...I can imagine how you feel! Maybe try some really good treats and belly rubs? I put in a swinging door for my cat when we got the dog so that he wouldn't be able to eat her food. Needless to say, the first time she tried it she got scared halfway through, backed out and managed to catch her paw in it. Ouch! Let me tell you, bacon was definitely the cure-all in that situation! 

good luck!
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Aw!  I know how you feel.  When we got our 2nd dog, the older one started completely ignoring us!  She had previously jumped onto my lap any time she could for some lovin' and just stopped.  It took her a good 6 months to come around again.  I think she was really pissed at us for getting another dog.  :)

I'm sure your pup will come around sooner than that.  I agree that treats and long walks will help.

Good luck!
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as there doesn't appear to be any other health issues. It sounds like your dog is upset and they should come around eventually. Our dog was so angry at us for about a month after we moved and developped a new schedule. He's great now though.
  • edited December 2011
    Give her doggie ice cream :-)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Take her to therapy a la- Best In Show.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    How about giving her a special treat? Do you give her people food at all? Maybe some scrambled eggs with a little bit of bacon in it. Sometimes we let our dogs have that, and they love it. Or maybe some shredded chicken or the grizzles of a steak?

She probably is "mad" because you left her at your dad's. Dogs can hold grudges. My dogs are very spiteful. He pees and poops in the house when we leave him home alone for long periods of time (he' is 12 years old and fully housebroken, we know he does this on purpose). My other dog just acts very aloof and won't come near you unless you drop his favorite word ... "cookie".

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • edited December 2011
    I take her for a walk every night. I'll have to try the treats thing. She has been like this since Saturday, so almost a week. I'm sure she will get over it soon, its just disheartening.

SeaTea - your reply made me laugh! I absolutely love ice cream, but I think her favorite cold treat is ice. Every time she hears the ice dispenser she comes running.
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    edited December 2011
    Niknik - they do make doggie ice cream!  They sell it at my grocery store. 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • edited December 2011
    Really? I never knew that. Guess I'll have to look for it next time I'm at a pet store.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yup, it's called Frosty Paws. My current dog isn't an ice cream lover, so I've never bought it. My cat would love it, but I don't know if it's good for her.
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    edited December 2011
    Nik - they don't have it at our pet stores, but they do have it in the grocery store in the freezer section.

One of my pups is lactose intolerant (weird, I know), so they don't get it anymore.  Peanut butter in a Kong is their favorite treat.
    IMG_6364
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards