Favors

Favors/ BM-GM Gifts?

Is there a general rule for the dollar amount to be spent on favors? Is it just a % of your budget, or are there other ways for calculating what you should spend?

I am getting the girl thier Jewelry, custom made, and I let them pick thiers our. I am also trying to find slippers for them for the ceremony, and I cant find those anywhere for under $15.

I am not sure what to get for our GM... Flasks, Zippos? No Cufflinks, No pocket watches... hmm?

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks EVERYONE!!!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Favors/ BM-GM Gifts?

• edited December 2011
    Shop for your wedding party like it is their birthday or Christmas.

What interests/hobbies do they have?

You don't have to buy matching gifts/wedding related gifts.

Also, groomsmen gifts are really up to your FI to decide.

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favors-bm-gm-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:2bd49520-d205-4bf1-85e2-f5e03b415bd6Post:104c78a2-e412-4bf0-a8ec-68c831b40afd">Favors/ BM-GM Gifts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a general rule for the dollar amount to be spent on favors? Is it just a % of your budget, or are there other ways for calculating what you should spend? I am getting the girl thier Jewelry, custom made, and I let them pick thiers our. I am also trying to find slippers for them for the ceremony, and I cant find those anywhere for under $15. I am not sure what to get for our GM... Flasks, Zippos? No Cufflinks, No pocket watches... hmm? Any ideas would be great! Thanks EVERYONE!!!
    Posted by kityjane2[/QUOTE]

kityjane:  the general thought around here is that anything you're giving the WP for use on wedding day is NOT a gift to them.  It's a gift to you because it completes your vision for your wedding day. 

So the jewelry~custom made or bought at Kohl's, isn't a gift for your WP.  Nor are the slippers for them to wear during the ceremony.

Instead of shopping for your WP, shop for your friends.  What store or website would you be heading for if it were their birthday?  Christmas?  Good.  Go there.

WP gifts don't have to be, nor should they be matchy-matchy.  And WP gifts don't have to be, nor should they be wedding related.

Example:  I wouldn't be thrilled with slippers to wear during the ceremony.  But spend the same amount on a GC to Amazon so that I could download a new book to my Kindle?  I'd LOVE that.

See what I mean?  As for GM gifts:  your FI should be figuring that out.  And the same rule of thumb applies to them as well.  Get something specific to each guy.  Neither my son nor my SIL are smokers.  So a lighter would be useless for them.  They're not big drinkers, either of them.  So a flask would be put in a drawer and never used. 

But my son LOVES music, and would love an itunes GC or the new CD from his favorite group.  My SIL would love a subscription to his favorite MMA magazine or a new game for the WIii.

As for favors:  spend what you can afford.  A small edible favor:  candy, a couple of cookies, a killer brownie, a jar of homemade jam, popcorn, etc. would all be great.  Or just skip favors:  they're not a deal breaker for me at all.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have 8 girls and got them all body wash and a bottle of lotion from bath & body. Then an engraved bracelet with their names, got totes to put the gifts in and also making shirts.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my girls their jewelry as well as a set of 4 homemade coasters and then a makeup bag with a nail polish they like and body wash/lotion in the scent they like.
      DH decided to go with giftcards for the GM.  At frst i thought that was weird then I thought...who wouldn't love a $50 giftcard to their favorite store?  Seriously!  Much better then a lot of the cheesy gift GM get and never use.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I kind of think of the gifts that meant a lot to me, personalized jewelry.  Some of the others, (which I won't name so as not to offend) seemed like a last minute, ooh I need to get a gift purchase.  It does seem the more you spend the more the more valuable the are, up to a point.  I wouldn't want to spend $100.00 a BM.
  • edited December 2011
    I am making books for my bridesmaids. They'll essentially be like small scrapbooks chronicling the time we've known each other. Also hoping to make lip balm and throwing in some sunscreen since it's a beach ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards