Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette for Addressing Invites - NO Inner Envelope

This is my second wedding (first was 16 years ago) and I guess I've forgotten a lot and/or things have changed.  I have DIY invitations with the invite, map and response card all going into a decorated cardstock envelope and then all of that being placed into the final envelope.  So....I only have the main envelope to write on.  We are inviting children/families and I'm unsure how to address the outer/main envelope.

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
Zoe and Kristina Smith
Address
Address

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Family
Address
Address

Anyone know the corect way of doing it?

Much thanks!

Re: Etiquette for Addressing Invites - NO Inner Envelope

• Options
    I personally think either are fine.  Listing the children's names will make it very clear that they are invited though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I prefer the listing of everyone's names.  I think "and Family" is just too broad and it's a good way to end up with uninvited guests.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If there is an inner envelope, that's where the rest of the family should be.

Outer Envelope:
    Mr $ Mrs Guest
    address
    addres

Inside:
    Mr $ Mrs Guest
    Miss Child
    Mr. Child
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_etiquette-addressing-invites-inner-envelope-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50f4e1dc-7141-47a7-829a-07ea5d474b68Post:15f14186-ed74-4429-b487-9bf6921e0247">Re: Etiquette for Addressing Invites - NO Inner Envelope</a>:
    [QUOTE]If there is an inner envelope, that's where the rest of the family should be. Outer Envelope: Mr $ Mrs Guest address addres Inside: Mr $ Mrs Guest Miss Child Mr. Child
    Posted by lisalou402[/QUOTE]

There is no inner envelope that she can write on.  That's the point of her question and even in the subject line of the post.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lisalou402lisalou402 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I know, i just re read that.  Invitation Skills =GREAT.  Reading skills=not so great.

I have done calligraphy for many many weddings.  In that case I always do

Mr & Mrs. Guest
    Miss Guest
    Mr. Guest

If there are MULTIPLE children and it's really hard to get them all in, I tend to just write THE GUEST FAMILY.  (with the couple approval)

Even on big envelopes, anything past 3 lines for names beoomes a crunched envelopel.
  • Options
    I wrote

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith Family
    panther
  • Options
    I didn't have inner evelopes either. I invited families like this:

Mr. and Mrs. Allen Jones
    John, Samantha, and Emily Jones
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards