Illinois-Chicago
Options

Chicago area alterations recs?

I ordered a dress online that I'm pretty sure is the one I want to wear, but it needs alterations (straps shortened several inches, hemming, maybe waist taken in) and I was hoping I'd be able to take it in somewhere for an estimate and a reassurance that shortening the bodice won't be a problem before I cut the tags off and commit. (Preferably getting the alterations actually done a few months later because my wedding isn't until June, but I could get them done now if need be.)

Any recommendations on somewhere trustworthy to take it that could look it over before my 30-day return window closes? Since I didn't buy from a boutique I'm having to look on my own. I live in the city.

Re: Chicago area alterations recs?

• Options
    fashionxfashionx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Angelica at La Modista. It's on Clybourne just north of Fullerton. She is amazing.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second La Modista. Went their for bridesmaid alterations and will be taking my wedding dress there too! Many other places had horrible reviews of dresses not being done on time. Angelica had everything ready by the date/time she committed.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not really a rec, but I used Ms. Couture based on all the glowing recommendations and she was EXPENSIVE and not worth it IMHO.  I had my dress taken in, hemmed and bustled for $550 (!) and it was falling down all night (strapless).  I told her at every single fitting that it still felt too loose in the bodice and she would grumble and pin it but she never got it tight enough.  I had to stop dancing early because when I danced the movement of the dress was pulling it off me and I was in serious jeopardy of flashing my guests :-(.  Also the bustle was a little too long and dragged on the floor all night.  Just saying, for the price I expected better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also looking for someone to do alterations in Chicago.  I'm buying it in Dallas and shipping it to Chicago since that's where I live and where the wedding is.  Is La Modista our best bet?  No other suggetions from our fellow knotties?
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mary Catomy is often recommended here, but I'm not sure what her availability is. Look for her contact info on Yelp, unless other Knotties who've used her can post it.

I used Cori w/Stitch of Bliss, and she did a great job--however she is very difficult to get a hold of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards