Military Brides

Long Distance Wedding Planning

I would totally 'lurk' for the answer to this but at the present moment I don't really have enough time (or patience haha). My husband and I have been married 2 years (will be 3 in May). We never had a ceremony, we just went to my grandpa's house and had him marry us in his office (he's an ordained minister).Our wedding was about 2 minutes long (if that). We both really want to have a wedding ceremony (i guess it would be more of a vow renewel) but we aren't sure how we would make it work. We want to do the ceremony in CA so that our families and close friends can go, but we are in GA. I have no idea how to go about even planning a wedding that will be over 2,000 miles away from where we live. And we have 1, soon to be 2 kids so we have a very limited budget. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Long Distance Wedding Planning

• Just treat it as a big party. Do you have a location in CA in mind? 

First, set a budget. 
    Then, plan out what type of party you want this to be. 

I think your biggest hurdle will be picking a place that you like, without actually seeing it in person. I would look up reviews for everything. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_long-distance-wedding-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:07e1d29c-dcd0-4979-8da6-77c795b89b7dPost:0156a099-ebf4-4740-9502-7c28efcd5041">Re: Long Distance Wedding Planning</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just treat it as a big party. Do you have a location in CA in mind?  First, set a budget.  Then, plan out what type of party you want this to be.  I think your biggest hurdle will be picking a place that you like, without actually seeing it in person. I would look up reviews for everything. 
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I do have a location in mind and the pictures of it are beautiful. I think I can have a trusted family member drive out there to check it out when we start actively planning our wedding. The budget for the wedding would be pretty small ($5,000-6,000) and I was just looking at it and tickets to CA for the 4 of us would take up half our budget. I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it. This is my dream, but the cost just seems too high.
  • If your budget is only $5-6K and that includes tickets to fly out there, I would wait.  Maybe start planning and saving for a 10 year anniversary.  We had a small wedding with 30 guests. Not one of my husband's family members were able to make it.  We planned to have a renewal in TX a year later, but we had a baby instead.  We pushed it back to our 5 yr anniversary, but that was last year.  We took the kids to the movies.  Now we say we might do something for our 10th, but who knows what life will throw us by then.  Frankly, when it comes down to it, the most important thing to us is that we are married.  The pretty dress and big party would have been cool.  It would have been special to have everyone there.  However, the money we would spend on a party can be used for so many other things that are far more important to us.  
    When it comes down to it, the choice to have a vow renewal is up to you.  I would either wait for a big anniversary or not do it at all.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Im surprised I thought this wouldn't go as well as it is going
  • according your budget, it would be pretty small. make sure which are must have would be necessary.
  • Would it be cheaper for you guys to drive out there? That might be a good way to help cut your costs. We're in Colorado and planning our wedding for July in Wisconsin. At least you have a venue in mind. That and food is what's going to get you. Are you doing a reception only or a vow renewal? I think you can do it. If you do it near LA, you can always sign up for David Tutera's show. Tongue Out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards