July 2011 Weddings

s/o telling parents and others about baby

I'm curious how you ladies decided or think you will decide about who to tell when.

I imagine I'll tell my mom almost immediately after POAS.  We talk almost daily, and I can't imagine going through more than a few days without telling her.  Of course I'd also then tell my dad.  Other than that I just don't know.  I guess I'd feel bad if my parents got to know significantly before MIL.  I also imagine it'd be hard for my mom to keep the secret from my cousins (who live with them) and my grandparents - not that she'd blab or anything, just that she'd be so excited it would be hard for her having to keep it to herself.

what do you think? / what did you do?

Re: s/o telling parents and others about baby

• Well, I'm definitely not preggers, but I'm with you, if I were, I'd have to tell my mom immediately.  I talk to her every day so it'd be impossible not to.  Plus, I think I'm bad with keeping secrets.  I think we'd wait the 3 months to tell dh's mom though, and then everyone else. 
  • I think that we would really try to keep it in until it is safe to tell. My mom has a big mouth and I know that she wouldn't be able to keep it a secret so I really don't know that I can tell her. I really wouldn't want to tell anyone else before my mom and dad so I think I would wait.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If and when this friggin baby thing ever happens (no I'm not bitter! lol) we plan on telling both sets of parents and our siblings and probably my BFF, but no one else until the 3 month mark.  We'll see if we can keep our mouths shut that long!
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    Moving right to IVF with ICSI
    ER: 8/17/12; 13R, 11M, 9F
    ET: 8/20/12; 2 "beautiful" embies transferred and 1 frobaby on ice
    Beta #1: 8/31/12 - BFP at 89!
    Beta #2: 9/3/12 - 315
    Beta #3: 9/10/12 - 6,109
    1st U/S: 9/24/12 - One little bean with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog: Project Make a Baby
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • yeah I know my mom would keep it a secret from anyone I asked her to so I wouldn't be worried about her blabbing (I just know it would be difficult, so if I also told my grandparents she'd get to gush over it with grandma). 
  • I told my sister, who I am very close to almost immediately after I got the positive test. We told my MIL, FIL, my mom and dad 2 days after we found out. We asked them not to tell anyone until I was out of the first tri, but a lot of them blabbed and word got out. I was pretty upset about them telling family members before I could. I wanted to tell my grandma, but nope, my mom blabbed before I could. Next time I'll do it differently, just not sure how.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to Re:s/o telling parents and others about baby:
    I told my sister, who I am very close to almost immediately after I got the positive test. We told my MIL, FIL, my mom and dad 2 days after we found out. We asked them not to tell anyone until I was out of the first tri, but a lot of them blabbed and word got out. I was pretty upset about them telling family members before I could. I wanted to tell my grandma, but nope, my mom blabbed before I could. Next time I'll do it differently, just not sure how.
    Posted by rak123
    That stinks :-(  I'd be pretty mad if someone told key family members before I could/did
  • oh no Robin that stinks! :-(
    those would be my same fear.
    I think we are going to try to wait until the 3 months mark to tell everyone..
    We shall see how that goes!
  • I am the worst at secrets.  I don't want to tell anyone until after the first appointment but I have no idea how I would keep that in!!  And plus, if I DIDN'T drink at a family or friend gathering everyone would know immediately!! :) Plus I'm a wuss when I'm sick so if I have morning sickness everyone at work would figure it out too!!  Ugh, I'm gonna have to hide in my room with no phone or computer for 3 months.
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think I'd tell my parents immediately and they'd understand not to tell anyone until three months.  ILs and other family and friends would not know until three months.  Maybe it sounds wrong to not tell the ILs but I think MIL would tell her friends and family then if anything happened I don't think I'd want them to know. 
  • my H's family always tells people immediately.  like, they get the positive pee stick test and the whole family knows within days.  i don't want that for us.

but, i would hate for my family to know and his family not to...that would be a source of controversy (i know he would say that i am favoring my family or something).

i would want to wait as long as possible to tell people....but i'm not sure H would be good at keeping a secret...then the world knows :(
  • I wouldn't want to tell our families until the 3 month mark cuz my mother, in particular, would blab to everyone in creation and I can actually kinda see MIL posting a FB status about it too.  Luckily, IL's live far away so they shouldn't be too difficult.  My family might be just slightly more difficult to keep it from.

But I am most concerned about my co-workers.  Because, like Leah, I am a complete baby when I'm sick and I don't know how I'd get through morning sickness symptoms without being "caught."  Also... they are ALL so excited about the idea of me and DPD having a baby that they ask about it OFTEN.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had names picked out already. 

As for friends... I think I'd be able to keep it a secret... I think.  I'm thinking since I don't see them as often... it'd be easier. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think we will tell our parents and siblings right away, because we're very close to all of them. Everyone else can wait. :
  • We will probably tell our family once it's safe to tell and then announce it to our friends. I really wouldn't want anyone else knowing immediately aside from H though. It would be like this awesome secret between us. I'm also not close with my mom at all, so that might influence it somewhat. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • i waited two weeks to tell my parents i was engaged. i can keep secrets from them for forever. i'm STILL hiding sh*t, mature right?

idk...i'd have to say something eventually though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards