November 2012 Weddings

Knot timelines for checklist

Just wondering if any of you are finding the timeline for your wedding checklist a little...odd I guess. 

I have overdue reminders for "signing a catering contract" "finalizing guest list and invite wording".  Its June.  My hotel doesn't care about the food until 1 month prior with a head count (paid in full 14 days prior) and I am still scribbling down a guest list, not finalizing it ...let alone worry about finalized invite wording. 

Just thought I'd rant a little about a checklist that is making me a little panicky, lol.
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
My BFP Chart
|| Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013

Re: Knot timelines for checklist

• Yeah, we've played around tons with theknot's list, though it's mostly been helpful. For the most part, I think it's a very safe timeline, for engagements of 12 months or more, for weddings in peak season. November is not peak season.

We started way ahead of theknot's timeline, and now we're way "behind," BUT, after we go to the jeweler's, I can't think of any more joint wedding errands until getting the license. There's still lots of errands - buying a glass to break (actually multiple ones, one to practice, one to use), something to wrap it in, lots of clothes issues, the whole honeymoon and rehearsal dinner, picking up the invitations from the printer's - But nothing we have to do together.

Oh! Jeweler's, license, and premarital counseling in 3 religions - But that's really not lots.

Depending on your number of guests, you'll want a pretty final guest list before you order your invitations. We have invites going to precisely 100 households. That's a lot of addressing! and a lot of formal names and addresses to collect before the addressing begins, etc.
  • Yeah I contacted our hotel today (for the reception) and checked on the block of rooms and when they require meal selections and headcounts.  Roughly 3-4 weeks before the wedding, so Oct.  Blocks of rooms are available now. 

So that is one more late to do off the list, lol
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Yeah, I find it to be a bit off. I've moved some dates around on the timeline to better fit my schedule of when things need to be done. I've found it helpful in keeping myself organized and knowing what to do though. Just adjust it better to fit your own timeline.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • While we're ranting about theknot's checklist, some more serious gripes:

I wish it included more serious marriage-prep stuff. Not necessarily religious, but, for example: A pre-nup agreement should ideally be signed months before the wedding to be valid. Hormonal birth control should also be started well before you actually want to use it, in case you have complications or need to adjust the dosage.

I wouldn't mind some recommendation about when and how to request the time off for the honeymoon, too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_knot-timelines-for-checklist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:1330596d-6db0-410f-99b6-fb417285be8fPost:415d9fab-5093-4190-955f-791459b89fd2">Re: Knot timelines for checklist</a>:
    [QUOTE] I wouldn't mind some recommendation about when and how to request the time off for the honeymoon, too.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

I just recently brought the discussion up with my boss, as another coworker is getting married tomorrow and is taking 3 weeks total. We are both part time employees and do not get annual vacation time so he told us to talk to the Human Resources department regardling a Leave of Absence.
    A and B
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That depends on your organization I guess.  Our annual leave requests have to be put in quarterly, which is ridiculous...how can you plan leave 3-4 months out unless you book a trip that far in advance. 

But my manager said obviously she is approving my time off for all this.  A few of the other girls are taking vacations around the same time I am, so she told me to get mine in now before the deadline.  So I did that last week and its all approved. 

It'll be nice, taking wed, thus, fri off before the wedding and mon.  Working Tues-Fri then Mon off to our honeymoon for 2 weeks.  Before you know it, its Christmas! 

Exciting fall :)

In terms of the more serious checks you mentioned, yeah that wouldn't be a bad idea.  I guess you can always add them to your own checklist.  But on the other hand, to show the more serious part of weddings, I understand what your saying.  Then again, if you've been living together for several months before you get married and if he/you have contributed to the house in any way, then its common law to begin with. 
    My BFP Chart
  • I know the when-to-request-leave issue varies from business to business, but so does when-to-meet-with-officiants, etc. These ballpark ideas are helpful.

As for pre-nups, first, most states have tossed out common law marriage. I think even those states retaining common law marriage treat what would otherwise be a common law marriage differently if there's a ceremony after the time the couple would qualify for common law marriage. A pre-nup would still be something to consider. Even if not, those couples should consider a post-nuptial agreement during their common law marriage and before their ceremonies.
  • Yeah the checklist is super early on some items.  I check what i can but I have 3 checklists to go by.  I am behind on some things but I am not really worrying about it yet.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards