Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Casual (appetizers) Hor D'Oeurves ideas...Please Help!!

So here we go again, I am changing my mind again - after talking with a few friends we decided that maybe we should go the route of casual appetizers.   Our reception is later in the evening starting about 730-8PM, will be in our backyard.  To give you an idea of how casual we are looking for - we are having a cotton candy machine the FI request =) and  popcorn balls for favors. 

I am needing some ideas of some casual appetizers - I can't do seafood due to severe allergies.

thanks again

Re: Casual (appetizers) Hor D'Oeurves ideas...Please Help!!

• Options
    What time does your wedding start?  
  • Options
    What were you originally planning on doing? How many guests?

Since the cotton candy machine and popcorn balls remind me of a carnival or festival, could you do like a Hot Dog station, Nacho station, Sliders, etc?
  • Options
    The wedding starts at 6:50 - 7PM its a sunset wedding.   Our original plan was a gourmet hot dog cart (a friend of mine owns and was going to cater but flaking out).  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_casual-appetizers-hor-doeurves-ideasplease-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:601b6283-d35a-4aef-845a-8b66447790b5Post:d5d9bf96-110d-4010-88c1-e03124f17895">Re: Casual (appetizers) Hor D'Oeurves ideas...Please Help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The wedding starts at 6:50 - 7PM its a sunset wedding.   Our original plan was a gourmet hot dog cart (a friend of mine owns and was going to cater but flaking out).  
    Posted by stacywashington[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>OK - 6:30 - 7 pm wedding still needs enough food to equal a meal.  As you are considering these casual appetizers, you need to provide enough that will equal dinner for your guests.<div>
    </div><div>I love the cotton candy idea and the popcorn balls.  Since your wedding seems to be backyard extremely casual (nothing wrong with that) I would at least have some sloppy joes, potato salad, etc.  Can you make something like that work.?</div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I remember your original post about the hotdog vendor friend.

Still offer hotdogs!   Most appetizers are more of a pain in the butt to prepare and pay for than hotdogs.  I love the idea of carnival type foods; popcorn, cotton candy, nachos, hotdogs (offer all the fixin's!)   Yum!  Good luck. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_casual-appetizers-hor-doeurves-ideasplease-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:601b6283-d35a-4aef-845a-8b66447790b5Post:65ad195a-b3c6-438a-9bce-6afa257f7a8d">Re: Casual (appetizers) Hor D'Oeurves ideas...Please Help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I remember your original post about the hotdog vendor friend. <strong>Still offer hotdogs! </strong>  Most appetizers are more of a pain in the butt to prepare and pay for than hotdogs.  I love the idea of carnival type foods; <strong>popcorn, cotton candy, nachos, hotdogs (offer all the fixin's!)   </strong>Yum!  Good luck. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with the bolded part!  You might also consider soft pretzels / soft pretzel bites with dipping sauces (honey mustard, cheese, ranch and chocolate) and funnel cake fries (like funnel cakes but made into sticks).

If you want to add some healthier options, too, you could serve cut veggies in french fry boxes and apple slices with caramel dipping sauce.
  • Options
    oohhh I like the preztel idea too --- i think this is going to be fun =)   I will keep you all updated as we start to get together a menu
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards