Getting in Shape

Toning Up

Hello! I am getting married in about 5 months and I am happy with where I am "weight wise", but I really want to tone up my stomach, legs, and especially my arms before the big day. Any advice on the best food to eat or exercises? Thanks!

Re: Toning Up

• I have read that carbs are best eaten in the morning or early afternoon; this is for a few reasons. Your body has to work really hard to digest carbs so if they are eaten before bed, they will only sit in your body and be stored as fat.  If eaten in the morning (oatmeal for example), it will give your body a lot of energy and keep you full longer, and since your body is using it for energy it won't be stored as fat.  This also results in eating less which equals less calories.  Make sure they are healthy carbs though, like whole grain bread and oatmeal.  

As for a good exercise. I love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It is only 30 minutes but it mixes strength, cardio, and ab workouts.  

Hope this helps! Smile
  • edited December 2012
    There is no such thing as "toning up" - you can lose fat and build muscle, and you can't spot-reduce an area. So start exercising and eat healthy food in reasonable portions.

ETA: Sorry, this sounds a lot snippier than I intended it to!
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_toning-up-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5049bf9a-118b-49d2-9e70-178be04fd978Post:f5504334-bd30-4283-b801-82ae53e60370">Re: Toning Up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have read that carbs are best eaten in the morning or early afternoon; this is for a few reasons.<strong> Your body has to work really hard to digest carbs so if they are eaten before bed, they will only sit in your body and be stored as fat. </strong> If eaten in the morning (oatmeal for example), it will give your body a lot of energy and keep you full longer, and since your body is using it for energy it won't be stored as fat.  This also results in eating less which equals less calories.  Make sure they are healthy carbs though, like whole grain bread and oatmeal.   As for a good exercise. I love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It is only 30 minutes but it mixes strength, cardio, and ab workouts.   Hope this helps! 
    Posted by trina0612[/QUOTE]\<div>
    </div><div>I don't know where you're getting this from. First of all, the body doesn't shut down when you fall asleep. If there's food to be digested, the body will digest it whether you're asleep or not, whether it's the crack of dawn or 5pm. Carbs, even "complex" ones, are digested very quickly by the body, which is why if you eat a carb-heavy diet you need to eat every 2-3 hours. Whereas if you eat the same quantity of calories in fat you're sated for hours and hours because the body digests fats much more slowly. But you are correct that excess unburned carbs do get stored as fat, and quite quickly at that. Eating a low-sugar  breakfast (yes, even complex carbs are essentially sugar when metabolized by the body) will help keep blood sugar steady throughout the rest of the day and will help prevent crashing and bingeing at the end of the day.</div><div>
    </div><div>Grains (not synonymous with carbs) ARE problematic to digest, however, because the lectins, phytates and gluten are inflammatory, and many people are sensitive to them without even realizing. But this problem with digesting grains does not make it an optimal slow-burning fuel source for the body. The sugars in them are digested quickly, meaning you have to eat again in a few hours, while the lectins, phytates and gluten remain to cause digestive troubles and chronic inflammation. Oatmeal is technically gluten-free but the vast majority of the commercial stuff is contaminated with gluten.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_toning-up-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5049bf9a-118b-49d2-9e70-178be04fd978Post:f5504334-bd30-4283-b801-82ae53e60370">Re: Toning Up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have read that carbs are best eaten in the morning or early afternoon; this is for a few reasons. Your body has to work really hard to digest carbs so if they are eaten before bed, they will only sit in your body and be stored as fat.  If eaten in the morning (oatmeal for example), it will give your body a lot of energy and keep you full longer, and since your body is using it for energy it won't be stored as fat.  This also results in eating less which equals less calories.  Make sure they are healthy carbs though, like whole grain bread and oatmeal.  
    Posted by trina0612[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That is completely and totally not true. Your body doesn't care if you eat at 11am or pm.

<div>
    </div></div>
    imageimageimage
  • It was all info from my doctor and things that he has given me to read. I didn't say it shut down, I said pretty much what you did, just not as detailed. As you said, the body does not burn the excess calories because it is at rest and doesn't work as hard. I do agree with that and it is what I was trying to say.  I just wasn't as thorough in trying to describe it.  I didn't realized how it sounded to other people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards