North Carolina

NWR: death in co-worker's family

hi ladies...need some opinions here.

i work for a small business- under 10 employees- and it's family-owned. i have two "bosses", which are brother and sister. yesterday, i found out their aunt died. the aunt was the sister of their dad, who founded the company, and who still stops by from time to time.

here is my question: do i send flowers to their homes? do I send flowers to the dad, and both of my bosses? do I send a card? what would you do? or should I just bring the stuff into the office for them?

thank you!
image122 Made the list!
image 89 Are ready to party!
image 11 Will be missing out!
image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: death in co-worker's family

• NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    So that dad founded the company? Was the aunt married?

I'm not really good with this, but I think if she wasn't married, I'd sent flowers to the dad with a card. I don't think I'd bring it to work though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Is there a visitation or has that already taken place? That's were most people send flowers with a card of their condolences. I would check with their funeral home or their obituary first though because sometimes people ask that a gift be made to their church, charity, etc. in lieu of flowers.
  • edited December 2011
    the aunt was either unmarried or widowed. and she's in Ohio, but i can check up there on the visitation.
    image122 Made the list!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'd send it to the visitation.  You can call a florist up there and they will handle it.  You may want to get a card though for your bosses...just so they know you're thinking of them. They don't always get to see who sent the flowers. 

I've also given a plant before, not at the visitation, that they can keep in the house, or plant outside, in memory of the person who died.  Just a thought.
    200 image 150 image 50 image RSVP Date: March 10th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to send flowers I'd send them to the funeral home.  If there isn't going to be a visitation at a funeral home I'd send the flowers to wherever the family is receiving friends (usually the obit will list this).  I'd send a card to each of your bosses homes.

ETA: I wouldn't send or bring anything to the office.  It's likely that they'll want to keep the office for office things when they're working, it can help to have a physical separation like that for emotionally trying times. 
  • edited December 2011
    thank you, everyone! this is very helpful.
    image122 Made the list!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards