Military Brides

(kinda XP from attire/accessories) Fi is frustrating because of his Whites

UGH!
So we picked out a dress, and I wasn't IN LOVE with it, but I liked it just fine... What I really wanted was my cousin's dress from when she got married 3 years ago but I couldn't find anything like it in my budget (since hers was like ... 2g). Well she and I were talking last week and she said, "OH! Do you want it? You can come by this week and take it! It would look great on you! " So I JUMPED on it! It fits wonderfully.

The dress I originally had picked out is find but I feel like it makes me look a little bigger than I am (granted it needs alterations still..) FI likes them both, but he doesn't want me to wear the cousin's dress because it's not stark white and he's wearing his navy dress whites.He thinks it'll look weird. Men care about the most random stuff!! 
 UGH. It photographs white!!! And even the original dress is that shiny material white so they wouldn't match perfectly. />_< I shouldn't have let him have say in the dress lol.
Heres the first, the second, and the second next to his dress whites (yes, the rank is outdated.. we have to buy his new boards)

^ see!! WHIIITE />_<
Thanks for listening to my rant.

Re: (kinda XP from attire/accessories) Fi is frustrating because of his Whites

• kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both dresses look great on you, but you have to go with the one you really want! I can't believe your FI is actually being picky with the colors! lol 

The first picture is the dress you really want right? I like the belt on that one, very pretty! I didn't let H have a say in my dress, and I let him pick out his tux! All he said was "Don't wear one of those poofy gowns" Guess what I wore? A poofy ballgown and he loved it! LOL Tell your FI that even though dresses are not "pure white" it will photograph white and "pure white" don't go with most women's skin color! 

ETA: I just realized it's the second one you really like! lol I saw your post on the AA board. I love that one and I think it fits you a lot better than the other one! ;) 
  • edited December 2011
    No the first dress is the one that I bought, that I think makes me look a little hip-heavy(ier than I am). That's why I'm wearing the second dress with the whites being held up lol..
    I know.. men are picky about the strangest things ever! He's just being a pain. He likes us matching perfectly with things because it makes us look all "couple-y" ...
    um.. buddy.. it's our wedding .. pretty sure we'll look couple-y no matter what! haha
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    You'll definitely look the most couple-y that day! My dress was ivory but it looks white on the pictures! I really do like #2, seems like many girls on the AA do too! Go with your gut!
  • edited December 2011
    Both dresses are beautiful, but I absolutely love the second dress. It looks great on you! I don't think it will look weird at all.
    March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon - Undecided (NYC or DC)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    aw thanks megmac. Me too!
    I'm glad you guys like the dresses, and yeah I got a lot of good stuff from AA board... Thats why this was a "kinda XP" lol... because this was more of me ranting that the darn guy wants us to match exactly ... his dress whites aren't the same material so no matter what they will never match! oi :P
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very few dresses are actually snow white - most are ivory or champagne or cream.  There's also no way to perfectly match with any white shirt the man will wear, and making men wear ivory shirts in a tux would look stupid just so it won't 'clash' with the bride's drses.

Basically, tell him to STFU and that whites will look fine next to whichever dress you want.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    bahahaha Calindi I'm going to make him read what you just wrote.
     <3<3<3
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_kinda-xp-attireaccessories-fi-frustrating-because-of-his-whites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:8f14f997-eefc-4fd5-80df-d980e6e75dacPost:d62216c0-3237-451d-ba48-f8cf5f510d47">Re: (kinda XP from attire/accessories) Fi is frustrating because of his Whites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very few dresses are actually snow white - most are ivory or champagne or cream.  There's also no way to perfectly match with any white shirt the man will wear, and<strong> making men wear ivory shirts in a tux would look stupid just so it won't 'clash' with the bride's drses.</strong> Basically, tell him to STFU and that whites will look fine next to whichever dress you want.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ditto this! H and I looked at ivory shirts and vest but he hated them! Didn't look good! lol </div>
  • edited December 2011
    ha yeah the GM are wearing white shirts under their suits... that's a good point I can make to him too.. .:P
  • edited December 2011
    Mine dress was off white and the grooms wore white tuxes and it pictured very well together. I thought I might have to always have a color between us but seriously photogs can do awesome stuff with light.

Tell him to get over it :-p
  • edited December 2011
    Tell him that The Bride is supposed to be the only one in white!! Wink

They both look great on you!!! I really like them both alot, the first one does make you look kind of hippy, but I don't think thats really a terrible thing. I Love your expression in the last one. I lol'd.
    Photobucket
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I told FI that I'm glad he's not a Staff yet because he'd have to wear the ugly white trousers. Lol.

It seriously looks fine. He's being a girl. A groomzilla if you will.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw, shucks, Stan, I hope my guy can wear the summer white pants with his dress blues since it's technically beofre Labor Day!!!!  I far prefer the white pants to the weird blue pants.

I'm just so indifferent to different shades of white, I didn't even consider what the alternatives where to the shade when I purchased my dress.  Off-white it is!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I am too. I call him a groomzilla all the time! hahaha I LOVE the navy dress whites with the little bit of a turtle neck. The dress blues are just kinda eh... better looking than the airforce but not even close to as sharp as the marines... but those whites.. yup. I'm a fan. :P :)

Calindi he's wearing his whites after labor day. idk about your man's service but that doesn't actualy dictate when they stop wearing the whites in the Navy.. It's all based on how long the warm season lasts. (Up here it actually ends in August, but it's a wedding so he can get away with it if he wants :P )
  • edited December 2011
    I was a fan of Navy dress whites too... till I had to wear them... haha
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, yea, he's being a diva. I call FI my little diva all the time; he also has his fair share of wedding-related demands (or, as he says, how he's pictured getting married in his head). 

I think you look great in both dresses but I like #2 better. You should wear whichever makes you comfortable and happy! 

I tell FI that I'm so happy he has opinions and we can negotiate just about anything about the wedding but the ultimate dress decision is mine (he thinks it's ridiculous to spend a lot on a dress but this is coming from the man who wants to buy a tux!!). 

Men, so adorable, yet so clueless sometimes!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • hakeefer1hakeefer1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I'm navy (dear god not wearing my dress whites in the wedding!) and I just have to say, my dress whites aren't really all the white; they have a cream color.  Also, I'm not sure how the men's jackets and pants are but the females are slightly see-through so you get a little more off-white color from skin underneath (the navy has issues with making good uniforms).  ALSO...in my opinion, since the dress has a sheen to it, it's not a issue at all that it doesn't match his uniform.  Sadly, on another note, he's only an ensign so he can't wear a sword at your wedding.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards