Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Opinions about a non-traditional food catering idea.

My wedding is about a year and a half away, but I've already started to look at catering in my area and I've become somewhat discouraged with the service and menus of the businesses in my area. It just seems so expensive to pay $80 for meatballs, when I can break out my own crock pot and make them myself. Especially since my reception will be too early in the day to have anything but appetizers, so here is my idea and I'd like to see what you guys thought. And please tell me if you think it's trashy or complicated or anything. I thought it would be kind of cute if my fiance and I catered our wedding with food from a couple of our favorite restaurants. We thought about chicken salad  and tenders from chic-fil-a, assorted other sandwiches from panera or just deli meat to make your own, hummus, feta dip and pitas from the hookah bar where we met. :) And various fruit and veggie trays from our walmart, because we are friends with a woman in the deli. I know it's a lot of running, but in the end I think it may be cheaper than using a company and the food will be better. Also, if I save money on food food, I can explode on a big cake! What do you think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Opinions about a non-traditional food catering idea.

• edited December 2011
    I wouldn't do the make your own sandwiches - but everything else sounds okay. I think you need to work out some logistics though. Who will set the food up? Serve it? Top up empty dishes? Do the clean up? Where will you be having your wedding - are there any rules about you bringing the food in? You'll still need people to handle all of that.

• jnewell4jnewell4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a reception picked out yet, but all of the one's in Knoxville that I've looked at do allow/require outside catering. I've also considered the field on a relative's farm... lol. Also, it's a small enough wedding that I could beg a couple of buddies to help me set it out and clean it up. We're inviting a hundred but I'm expecting there to be 75 at absolute most. I agree with you about the sandwich thing. Thanks for the response!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think what you want to do is fine. As long as the venues allow you to bring in your own food, do it. If you want alcohol, there's that concern as well. But for set up and clean up, ask family members & friends and see if anyone has teens or 20-somethings who wouldn't mind being paid $10 or so an hour.

Good luck.

• LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your menu sounds good to me. There's no law that says you must serve fancy food from a wedding caterer or else your marriage will be doomed. Get food you like from wherever you like how it's fixed. Not sure what the question is as long as you like it and your guests like it. It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks since they won't be attending.
  • Cass987Cass987 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Especially in the midwest, most families that I've met enjoy less formal dinners!  Rather than trying to tackle everything DIY, look to your fav restraunt and ask them how much it would be. Even delis from the grocer (or subway-like places) sometimes have great "light" options already made up - sandwich fruit veggie trays, etc. for very good prices - much less than wedding caterers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think the food ideas are good and fun, but I don't think you should be responsible for any of that on your own wedding day.  You will be stressed and nervous and running around as it is.  If you decide to do this, task someone else with the job - maybe the groomsmen or ushers or a couple of trusted family members.  You will not want to be worrying about picking up or setting up food on your wedding day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jnewell4jnewell4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to everyone for your ideas and responses. I know that you guys won't be at my wedding but it's around 580 days away. I just wanted some feedback and opinions from real brides having REAL weddings. Lol. I've only seen two weddings in my life, so really this is a huge help. Thank You!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it sounds delicious :-) We're also going a bit untraditional with serving thai food at our wedding, but not having a thai theme at all..
  • crysnewcrysnew member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most decent restauarants will provide catering.  You can call the sandwich shop, bbq place or whatever, and ask what they provide.  You can see if they will charge less if you go to Costco for the plates, napkins, etc
  • trinalotrinalo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea! I do agree though to make sure you don't have to be in charge of food the day of- we're dealing with that ourselves a little bit. We're getting married on a family farm and My FMIL's side of the family is making the food (full disclosure: we'll probably be picking up some additional food at costco, and our cake will be from there as well). The biggest issue we figure is goung to be having someone take care of everything that needs to be done the day of, and making sure everything stays stocked at the reception.

That's my long-winded way of saying I think it's a great idea, just be tedious in figuring out some of the finer details.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards