Catholic Weddings

Catholic Wedding on a Sunday

Does anyone know if it is allowed by the Archdiocese to have a wedding ceremony on a Sunday?

I am having tha most difficult time lining about times and dates for my wedding.  And Sundays are a lot more flexible for different venues and chapels.  I could really use some knowledgable advice and opinions.  Thank you so much!
Claire

Re: Catholic Wedding on a Sunday

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    There is no church law against weddings on Sunday but your church or your diocese may not allow it.

As your priest.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto. A lot of priests won't do weddings on Sunday. All the Catholic weddings I have ever been to (including my own) have been on a Saturday.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    add on

My father's second marriage took place on a Sunday and all I remember distinctly is that the passages read during the wedding had to be those read that day.  You won't be able to pick the bible passages you want but that's not the end of the world.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married on a Sunday in my local Catholic church.  As the wedding is occuring outside of Mass, I was able to pick my bible passages.  If you wanted a Nuptial Mass, that might be different.  But the only way to know is to talk with your priest.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-wedding-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:4a2834bb-0a5b-47b5-93f5-c3880df20f0ePost:7416eac0-2df1-4eac-af80-ef40540ce707">Re: Catholic Wedding on a Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married on a Sunday in my local Catholic church.  As the wedding is occuring outside of Mass, I was able to pick my bible passages.  If you wanted a Nuptial Mass, that might be different.  But the only way to know is to talk with your priest.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Same here.  I am getting married on a Sunday and they were strict with time slots.  There was only one available time and we have to be on time because there is a mass following the wedding.
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto others...
  • edited December 2011
    Some poking around the internet tells me that the Seattle Archdiocese allows weddings any day except Good Friday and Holy Saturday, though weddings are discouraged during Lent.

I agree to talk to your church and priest about a Sunday wedding. They are the ones who can tell you if it is even a possibility, what time slots would be available, what readings are allowed, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    our church only does saturday weddings at 11 and 2. no other choices. but we are also the diocesan church so that may limit the time available. not sure.
  • edited December 2011
    It is not prohibited to have a Catholic wedding on Sundays.  It really just depends on your church.
    Most churches don't have Sunday weddings because they have a mass every hour on Sundays, and may be difficult to have a time slot for weddings.
    Just keep searching for a church that will do it.  It helps to be an active parishioner and if you serve in the church.

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on a Sunday at a Catholic Church and they were very flexible with the times.. I really could have picked any time i wanted to!

I chose 5pm due to my cocktail hour starting at 6pm and the country club is only a 5 minute drive away :)

Ask and you shall see!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards