Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

A weird music question

This is going to be a little bit of a strange question, but I like a lot of pop music from Japan and I've recently discovered a Korean Pop song with a really cool dance beat.  I've been toying with the idea of playing some of this music at the wedding reception.  Should I play some of my J-pop and K-pop music during the reception?  And if someone you knew did this would you get up and dance even though you didn't understand the language or didn't know the song?

Re: A weird music question

• Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I usually don't dance to music that I don't know. I would think it's okay to play a couple of these types of songs since you're really into it, but unless the rest of your guests really like it, I wouldn't play too much.
  • Options
    DJRobOneDJRobOne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    unless you want to be the only one dancing to it I suggest not. I am a DJ and something like this is a big no no, and would clear a floor fast.  I take great pride in being able to read a crowd and know what song to play next. Now if I am DJing a wedding the client comes first. Usually meaning the bride comes first ;) Now I encourage my clients to give me some songs that they want played during the reception. It gives me a better idea of the genre's they like, and the artists they like. Thus making it easier for me to know what to bring for their reception. It almost always happens that the bride, groom, mom of the bride, best man or someone has some weird off the wall song played during the reception. It might be something to slow to play during the open dance, or a jazz song when the main music type will be 70's funk., or hell it might be something that you just know will completely clear the dance floor that you worked so hard at filling. So I usually try and sneak those songs in during dinner or at the very beginning or the end of the open dance. If its something that you know YOU and only YOU will like than I suggest listening to it in the limo on the way back to the hotel. Chances are you will be awkwardly dancing to it alone in the middle of the dance floor.
  • Options
    teamdynamiteteamdynamite member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there alcohol involved in your reception? I have a bunch of friends that would gladly get up and dance to any great beat! If you want it played that much, maybe it can wait until later in the reception after a few "rounds". Another option would be to have your BP dance to it when they come in? OR you could also ask a few random people (ahead of time, of course, and closer friends) to get up and get the crowd into it? I plan on having a dance-off and our DJ recommended us having a list of people we KNOW would do it w/o feeling put-on-the-spot. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards