Virginia
Options

Early November Outdoor Ceremony.. in Charlottesville??

Ok so maybe this is just totally off the walls, but I found a beautiful winery in Charlottesville that I love!! ....and really want to have the ceremony out on the lawn overlooking the mountains before sunset the beginning of November

I haven't been to the location yet since I live in TX, but I've seen pictures from the website and have Googled weddings held at the location and they're beautiful! Plus, I love autumn/winter and have always wanted an outdoor ceremony (reception will be mostly indoors and partly outdoors). We've looked up the weather and yikes it gets cold that time of year in Charlottesville, but we'll be serving hot drinks throughout the night. Thinking a hot cocoa bar.

But if you were a guest, would this be bothersome? I'm looking into clear wedding tents that way no one freezes and seeing about outdoor heaters. But realistically, any ideas, comments or concerns?? Lol. I know not everyone likes cold weather so any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!! :)

Re: Early November Outdoor Ceremony.. in Charlottesville??

• Options
    Ugh, that's tricky!  I lived in Cville for about 15 years, and I can remember some Novembers when it was 70 degrees, and others when it snowed.   My birthday is at the end of October, so this time of year stands out pretty well for me.

Our wedding is April 7th, and it could go either way as well.  The best we can do is plan for an outdoor ceremony with the backup of moving it inside if it's too cold out.   I think if it's anything less than about 60, we'll move it inside.   

Just out of curiosity, which vineyard are you using?  Ours is at King Family Vineyard in Crozet.  Most of the ones near Cville that we looked at have indoor spaces that could fit a ceremony in case of inclement weather.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I think you are pretty much doing everything you can do. All are great ideas. Maybe for favors you could have shawls too. Just in case.
  • Options
    CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I would not plan an outdoor ceremony in November here. Plenty of vineyards have indoor spaces that would work. :) We're at Pippin Hill. :)
  • Options
    Personally I would not take that chance. November is pushing it here in Virginia.
    But there are plenty of places that have indoor facilities with mountain views...
    check out hermitage hill farm. Their reception room has lots of glass to take in the mountain views.
    http://www.hermitagehillfarm.com
  • Options
    Avion22 haha yea it has been tricky. I love Pippin Hill.... have been trying to find a place  that's close that I like for the ceremony, but I'm very particular. Haha. So set on Pippin HIll (at least for the reception). Also, just like the idea of guests not having to drive to two different locations for the ceremony and reception. We'll see how things turn out. Thank you though, having an indoor backup plan is a great idea!
  • Options
    Dont AskMeAgain Ooo I like that idea! Brilliant! Haha, thanks for your encouragement! 

CvilleClaire :) Pippin Hill is where my heart is. Just feels right. Ha, we may have to rethink the date if it's going to be too cold, but so set on this location. 

nikkinargi Thank you, yes Hermitage Hill Farm is very pretty! I love the stables area, but as much as I like it, just doesn't have that "This is it!" feeling, you know? I think we''ll still visit it though just to be sure. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I got married outside at King Family Vineyards on October 29.

The week before my wedding, it was in the 60s. The week after, it was in the 70s! The day of, it SNOWED (though thankfully it cleared up in time for us to get outside!!).
    The weather that time of year is crazy and unpredictable, but I think that if you want an outdoor wedding, do it. None of our guests complained (we still did it outdoors with no tents or anything). 

All your guests can wear their coats - its your bridesmaids you need to worry about. I gave them shawls and they were totally fine. We only had like a 25 min ceremony, so people were good (and we did have a hot cider stand for the guests too which they liked!).

The one thing you will want to think of is daylight savings -- make sure the sun isn't setting on you before you get your pictures, etc!!!

If you have any other questions on getting married in CVille that time of year, feel free to contact me! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards