Florida-Central Florida

Flower Help.... long

I am stressing over flowers and need some advice/help!

We did our mockup a few weeks ago, and it just wasn't sitting right for me. 1) the price I was still freaking out about and 2) I wasn't in love.

$325 each

$195 each

I thought it might grow on me, but it hasnt. I decided yesterday I want to completley change the flower arrangments and bring the price down by at least 2,500. We are having a large wedding, so yes I know it is going to get pricey, we have estimated 18 tables.  So I need help in a few areas:

I was thinking of doing a high centerpiece more like this but maybe a little smaller:

and take our low centerpieces to a mix of the same flowers but small.  Our ballroom has high ceilings so I need some height of flowers, but I dont need anything too elaborate.

Thoughts, ideas, please!

Also, is anyone elses florist putting delivery and setup fees in? Ours with tax come to $1500!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
225 image Invited
127 image Making the Trip
98 image Missing out
0 image MIA
RSVP date February 19th

Re: Flower Help.... long

• edited December 2011
    I almost choked on my cereal when I saw the quoted prices, haha.  I think the only way to bring the price down is to take away some of the detail. For example, on your low centerpieces I would merge it into one single centerpiece and perhaps take off the jewels. As for the tall ones...I like the stock photo much, much better than your mock-up. Again, you could just merge the separate arrangements of flowers into one tall vase like in that picture and eliminate any of the extra things. I don't know how set you are on the flowers, but if you can change the flowers it may bring the price down as well. I know hydrangeas and peonies are inherently expensive. I originally had hydrangeas in my bouquet and when I took them out...it dropped the price by nearly $50. You could also limit the centerpieces to one kind of flower. And have you thought about submerged flowers? You could do tall cylindrical vases and submerge flowers for the tall centerpieces...this would seriously cut your quoted prices in half because there won't be a ton of floral. I'm having a small wedding (7 tables NOT including ours...but we're not having anything on our table since it's kind of pushed to the side...I highly doubt we'll even sit down for more than 30 minutes lol), but I'm having all roses in low square vases for my centerpieces (they were around $45 a piece if that can give you an idea...I thought that was pretty fair)

This is just my opinion, but I hope that helps!
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Woah... that is a lot of money to spend on centerpieces! I would have to say that the first two "mock ups" are nice, but not "in-love" nice. I do really like the rose "ball" on the 2nd one though. I would maybe consider doing just that (without the other one) and candles around it for the smaller centerpieces. Then, for the tall centerpieces do something similar, just tall- like your 3rd picture would work, just use the same flowers in both.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
    That's insane!!! 

We paid $285 per table... BUT we got a TON of flowers... the price included the large arrangement and the 3 smaller ones at the base... I just don't see a lot of flowers in your mockups for that price... if it was OVERFLOWING with flowers I could see it, but I just don't. We were charged for the delivery and such, but not $1500!!! Who are you using as your florist?

• edited December 2011
    OMG ladies you have made me feel much better because I too was choking at the prices!

**Lauren I LOVE the centerpieces!

I just finished talking to our planner, and she gave me some other areas to save also (reduce size of BM bouquet & no fresh flower pomanders for FG's) and told me how much labor goes into those candleabra things.

I actually just sent the florist (Raining Roses) an email about simplifying we can't spend that much. 

I heard hydragenas were expensive, and we have orchids in there too. I am not attached to any flower which is the best part! I just sent them a I can't go over this what can you do. I also sent the 3rd picture and said I would like that and tie the same thing into the lows. I have a feeling every flower in the mockups are pricey, considering they arent "normal" roses they are Sahara, Vendela and Champagne roses, whatever that means Laughing

Our table will have my bouquet in a vase with some candles, simple and sweet.

Thanks for making me feel like I wasn't the only one freaking out over price, I don't deal with flowers and no cost idea.  I do like Raining Roses they have been great to work with, but I am thankful I haven't paid any $$ yet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - There's not enough going on in those mockups to justify the price.  Was this the best quote you got?  I'm sure you can find better prices elsewhere if you haven't paid a deposit already.

FWIW, I like the ones in your planning bio better. They'd probably come out much less expensive as well, and you may be able to get tall glass or something to give the height you're looking for.
  • edited December 2011
    the fresh flower pomanders are REALLY expensive because there are TONS of flowers in those things. 

And Vandela roses shouldn't cost much more than "regular roses" they're just cream colored roses. All "regular roses" have names too. They aren't ivory roses, they're Vandela, Sahara or champagne roses. Its the breed. Just like its not an apple, its a granny smith, gala or macintosh. 

My delivery fee is $25. There is no set up fee because we're just doing personal flowers. no centerpieces through the florist. 

I would seriously consider taking the photos to other florists and have them do a quote for you. You might be getting ripped off because of a deal between your coordinator and the florist. The costs seem OUTRAGEOUS to me. 
    Planning Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited
    image 97 Celebrating in Person
    image 57 Celebrating in Spirit
    image 0 In Postal Limbo
    RSVP Date: October 26
  • edited December 2011
    Orchids are so overpriced! You could probably really cut back your budget by getting rid of the orchids and sticking with more basic flowers. Plus orchids are smaller, so they don't give as much coverage -- which means you need more of them. Good luck!
  • ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with everyone else. I find $195 for roses ridiculous. That's what my entire bridal party's flowers (my bouquet, 2 BM bouquets, 2 mom corsages, and 5 boutonnieres) are costing with Peddles! I would really look into using someone else if its not too late. Also, $1500 for delivery is outrageous too. Did this florist come super highly recommended? Why did you choose them?
  • andee1353andee1353 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From what I know about Raining Roses you've picked probably the most expensive florist in Orlando! They generally do amazing work and are known for their drama and flare. I've only been to big corporate events where they have done the flowers and they were breath taking.
    Having said that, think about your budget and how important spending that kind of money on flowers is to you. You can still get a beautiful effect with less expensive flowers and "lesser" arrangements per table and then perhaps making one large and important floral display. GL!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies, I already mentioned to our coordinator that I want to schedule another florist appointment (with someone else). She works with them, thats why we went there, and orgininally I was all about the drama of it, until I realized the price. Andee I think you are right and they are the most expensive haha! I'll keep you ladies updated when I get my 3rd quote back (yes this is the 3rd time Ive slashed it, hmmm I should take a hint).

**Updated: I scheduled a meeting with Lee Forest for the 4th.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_flower-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:f6bb69df-8d6e-4d11-bffb-e15aa5a4031aPost:14427e71-2317-4695-95d8-e9de7b924296">Re: Flower Help.... long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Ladies, I already mentioned to our coordinator that I want to schedule another florist appointment (with someone else). She works with them, thats why we went there, and orgininally I was all about the drama of it, until I realized the price. Andee I think you are right and they are the most expensive haha! I'll keep you ladies updated when I get my 3rd quote back (yes this is the 3rd time Ive slashed it, hmmm I should take a hint). **Updated: I scheduled a meeting with Lee Forest for the 4th.
    Posted by meghanmcadams[/QUOTE]

<div>Meghan,</div><div>Lee is the one who did our flowers!!! He was AMAZING!!! We LOVED him. Good luck!!</div><div>
    </div>

• Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, you haven't actually booked Raining Roses yet?  That's good.  Raining Roses is ridiculously overpriced but they are very good.  However, your money won't take you very far there.  My centerpieces were very very similar to the second mock up you got.  I did two arrangements.  On half the tables were lavender hydrangeas  with hanging crystals and a hanging chandelier inside the vase with led uplights.  On the other half were purple macara orchids strung on clear string floating in water with a candle on top.  The hydrangea centerpieces were 50 each and the orchid ones were 30. I loved how my flowers came out and the total price was four hundred dollars for centerpieces.  I can't remember how much exactly delivery and set up was but it was probably between fifty and one hundred bucks.  My total floral bill with everything was only around 900.    My florist was Debbie with Atmospheres.  She was really fabulous.  I would highly recommend her because you'll get a lot more for your money without sacrificing on fabulous designs.  

Here's the photos:  
  • ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Umm, I just reread the original post and saw that you were trying to bring your flower budget DOWN by $2500. I originally thought your budget WAS $2500. Damn. Our entire wedding budget is only $8000!
  • edited December 2011
    Umm I am not sure where you are located, but there is a florist by the name of Blossoms in Belleview Florida he is doing my wedding on April 9th and he's been ranked second in the nation for flower arrangements, not only does he know what he is talking about and does AMAZING work he is extremely reasonable. 352-245-2403
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards