Moms and Maids
Options

Parent in laws are Monsters

His parents have refused to pitch in at all, and it took them 3 months to give us a guest list and said I'm stressing them out and not to talk to them until 4 months before the wedding. His mom hates all the things I've shown her I like from flower bouquets, to bridesmaid dresses, and inlcuding the wedding venue. IT's been nothing but negative.

On top of that he has a 4 year old from a previous relation ship and his parents keep saying she should be a mini bride, and that she should be more important and play a more important role than my own nieces. When I asked his mom why his daughter coudn't be accepted equally and not superior to my nieces she has nothing to say. I see my nieces just about every day since the day they were born 3 years ago. His daughter is with us every other weekend for two days, and I love her but I love my nieces too and I don't think his mom has the right to tell me my nieces aren't that  important in the wedding.

His mom refuses to answer my phone calls and calls him back to ask what I want. But she has so many opinions on how Our day should be. And she has even said she'll be damn to come if she has a child at her table since we are doing assign seating for dinner. She won't even let her own grand daughter sit by her so we don't have kids at the head table, or even watch her for the night when we have a free hotel room where we booked out recption.

Re: Parent in laws are Monsters

• Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_parent-laws-monsters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3862dea2-414f-42e0-b42e-bc180134dccbPost:774e2c0e-fccf-430c-b0c9-c25d9928447f">Parent in laws are Monsters</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>His parents have refused to pitch in at all, </strong>and it took them 3 months to give us a guest list and said I'm stressing them out and not to talk to them until 4 months before the wedding. His mom hates all the things I've shown her I like from flower bouquets, to bridesmaid dresses, and inlcuding the wedding venue. IT's been nothing but negative. On top of that he has a 4 year old from a previous relation ship and his parents keep saying she should be a mini bride, and that she should be more important and play a more important role than my own nieces. When I asked his mom why his daughter coudn't be accepted equally and not superior to my nieces she has nothing to say. I see my nieces just about every day since the day they were born 3 years ago. His daughter is with us every other weekend for two days, and I love her but I love my nieces too and I don't think his mom has the right to tell me my nieces aren't that  important in the wedding. His mom refuses to answer my phone calls and calls him back to ask what I want. But she has so many opinions on how Our day should be. And she has even said she'll be damn to come if she has a child at her table since we are doing assign seating for dinner. She won't even let her own grand daughter sit by her so we don't have kids at the head table, or even watch her for the night when we have a free hotel room where we booked out recption.
    Posted by nboothe86[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>1. No one is obligated to pay for your wedding. You and your FI are responsible if no one offers. That is the way weddings work in the 21st century. Also, your FMIL does not have to like all of your ideas. Stop sharing your plans with her.</div><div>
    </div><div>2. On the up side for you, since your FILs are not paying, they do not get the weight of a say in your decisions. You should still be considerate of their opinions and comfort, but you do not have to honor every single request, especially ones concerning your WP. Choose your WP members as YOU and FI would like. You do not have to have your Fstepdaughter as a mini bride (I think those are weird, btw). </div><div>
    </div><div>She also does not get a say about seating. You can arrange that how you like. If she refuses to sit by a child, she will look like a biitch. I would strongly advise against a head table though. They are outdated and rude to split up your WP from their dates. Do a captain's table with your WP's SOs across from them, or a sweetheart table for you and you FI. </div><div>
    </div><div>3. As for calling your FMIL, your FI really should be handling his mother. Not saying you should never speak with her directly, but since this wedding is, you know, her son's wedding too, he needs to have your back first and foremost and should call her up to ask her and tell her things WR. 

</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you are so frustrated with your future ILs.

It's always the safest route to assume that the couple is going to pay/plan/do everything for their own wedding.  

As soon as you assume that someone should chip in or help or offer advice and it's not what you thought, then you get disappointed.

Best way to do that is to simply stop calling them, stop bringing up any of the wedding plans, don't ask them questions, and just mail them an invite like a regular guests.  They really don't have a say especially since they are not contributing - not saying they should either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HIs parents are not obligated to pitch in $$ for your wedding or to help out in any way. You shouldn't discuss the wedding with your FMIL, at all, since she seems to bring so much negativity. Pass information on a 'need to know' basis through her son, so you won't have to listen to her commentary. Quit calling her. Why give her the opportunity to snub you again and again?

It's shocking that two adult women would waste their time ranking children in order of their importance. I would guess that to your fi, his daughter is the most important. And apparently you are partial to your nieces. There's really no need to verbalize this or explain it to anyone. If all three girls are included in your wp as flowergirls, I'm sure they will be happy. The 4 year old is not going to aspire to higher position in your wp. And I agree with Em that mini-brides are creepy.

If you can't find a loving family member for the four year old to sit with at your wedding, then she should sit with her father and you. It is his responsibility to make sure his daughter is comfortable and safe at your wedding and to make sure she is returned to her mother afterwards. That child is going to part of your life for a very long time. You will have to get used to making small sacrifices to ensure her well being.

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Stop trying to talk with his parents about the wedding or anything else for that matter because apparently the three of you do not get a long.

His parents in no way have to give you money for your wedding.  Since they are not giving you any money then they really do not have a say in what you are planning.

As for your FI daughter...I believe it is up to your FI to include her as much as he wants.

From now on, if you need to ask your future in-laws a question about anything have your FI call them, they are his parents after all.

• Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely nothing in your post indicates that your FILs are actually monsters, and you are doing nothing but hurting your own relationship with them by characterizing them as such.  Get over it.  They owe you nothing, including helping paying your wedding or giving you free childcare for your stepdaughter.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    To be fair, you sound pretty difficult to deal with- you're irritated when she talks to you and also when she doesn't answer your calls.  I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Also, your wedding and your children are your responsibility, not theirs.  You and your fiance plan and pay for the wedding yourselves, and if you need someone to watch your kids and no one in your family is interested in doing it for free, you hire a babysitter.
  • Options
    kaitlyn&henrykaitlyn&henry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So you are marrying a man with a child...soon to become a part of your family and you refuse to acknowledge her importance? I love my nieces too, but if my DH had a child in a previous marriage, I would be loving her as my own because its still his child and when you get married she becomes part of your family too forever.

NO ONE will play a more important role than you, so its silly to think a child will outshine you on your wedding day. As far as your mil not liking anything, stop showing her stuff or talking about it.
  • Options
    CowgirlK39CowgirlK39 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_parent-laws-monsters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:3862dea2-414f-42e0-b42e-bc180134dccbPost:5f2ca12e-8970-4947-9c1a-750ecaf5cb49">Re: Parent in laws are Monsters</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you are marrying a man with a child...soon to become a part of your family and <strong>you refuse to acknowledge her importance?</strong> I love my nieces too, but if my DH had a child in a previous marriage, I would be loving her as my own because its still his child and when you get married she becomes part of your family too forever. NO ONE will play a more important role than you, so its silly to think a child will outshine you on your wedding day. As far as your mil not liking anything, stop showing her stuff or talking about it.
    Posted by kaitlyn&henry[/QUOTE]

She isn't refusing to acknowledge her. She told the FMIL she wants her to be involved, but equally with the nieces. Her FMIL wants the little girl to be more in the spotlight by giving her that stupid "mini bride" title. The OP is not rejecting his child at all, she just wants her to be equally involved along with her side of the family. The FMIL is being a witch by basically saying "I want <strong>you</strong> to do this and this for the little girl, but <em><strong>I </strong></em>don't want to have to deal with her."

As many others said, this is another case of "Stop sharing details with her." Easy as that.
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_parent-laws-monsters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:3862dea2-414f-42e0-b42e-bc180134dccbPost:5f1a93ff-89b5-4683-8c7b-22346a16698e">Re: Parent in laws are Monsters</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be fair, you sound pretty difficult to deal with- <strong>you're irritated when she talks to you</strong> <strong>and also when she doesn't answer your calls.</strong>  I'm not sure what you're looking for. Also, your wedding and your children are your responsibility, not theirs.  You and your fiance plan and pay for the wedding yourselves, and if you need someone to watch your kids and no one in your family is interested in doing it for free, you hire a babysitter.
    Posted by renegade gaucho[/QUOTE]

<div>I'd say this is true for a lot of brides to be, when dealing with their FMILs. I know it is for me. And yeah, I'd be annoyed too if my FMIL ignored my calls and then turned right back around and called my FI, asking what I wanted instead of calling me back. That's douchey IMO. While I think her FI should be calling her about WR things, what if she was just calling to chat?</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_parent-laws-monsters?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:3862dea2-414f-42e0-b42e-bc180134dccbPost:50c48f9d-0fb1-4d37-bb34-95e83376ade4">Re: Parent in laws are Monsters</a>:
    [QUOTE]HIs parents are not obligated to pitch in $$ for your wedding or to help out in any way. You shouldn't discuss the wedding with your FMIL, at all, since she seems to bring so much negativity. Pass information on a 'need to know' basis through her son, so you won't have to listen to her commentary. Quit calling her. Why give her the opportunity to snub you again and again? It's shocking that two adult women would waste their time ranking children in order of their importance. I would guess that to your fi, his daughter is the most important. And apparently you are partial to your nieces. There's really no need to verbalize this or explain it to anyone. If all three girls are included in your wp as flowergirls, I'm sure they will be happy. The 4 year old is not going to aspire to higher position in your wp. And I agree with Em that mini-brides are creepy. If you can't find a loving family member for the four year old to sit with at your wedding, then she should sit with her father and you. It is his responsibility to make sure his daughter is comfortable and safe at your wedding and to make sure she is returned to her mother afterwards. That child is going to part of your life for a very long time. You will have to get used to making small sacrifices to ensure her well being.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

This...Maire said it all!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards