Nebraska

Moving to Lincoln?

Hey All!
I live in MN but have been thinking of pursuing a teaching job in Lincoln. Could anybody fill me in about life in Nebraska or the Lincoln area? What do you like/dislike about your state? What would a new person need to know? I've never been to Nebraska so I'm not entirely certain what to expect. Thanks!
Photobucket

Re: Moving to Lincoln?

• edited December 2011
    It's cheap! I'm originally from IL and have lived in Lincoln for a little over three years. It's but how low the cost of living is here compared to IL. Lincoln is nice because it's only about 45 minutes from Omaha and a couple of hours from Kansas City. There are lots of good local restaurants and shopping. The best thing about this city is the energy of Husker football gameday. Nothing can top that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! Being cheap is definitely a good thing!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I recently moved to Lincoln from Omaha. And yes, Lincoln is inexpensive laid0back living, but it has a very small-town feel. For some, that is a good thing. For others (like me), it's a little like living in a "bubble". Omaha is much more diverse and eclectic - luckily it's only 40 minutes down the road. Lincoln is mostly small-town Nebraska people that moved to "a bigger town in Nebraska" for college or a job. It's not a city. But great if you have kids or are planning on having kids. And I agree with PP, Husker game days bring a great energy to the town. But the other months out of the year that aren't football season....well, we spend our weekends in Omaha or Kansas City :)

Good luck to you!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Lincoln is great. My FI has lots of family in MN and we spend a lot of time up there. They are very similar as far as values, prices, etc. LPS is a pretty decent school system. I prefer some of the schools in the surrounding small towns, but I'm biased since I'm originally from Waverly which is about 20 min outside of Lincoln (and on the way to Omaha).

Lincoln is a very small town feel. I can go to a bar or restaurant and usually see someone I graduated with, or used to work with, or currently work with. IE: I was at Kohl's twice in one weekend. Both trips I saw a different coworker (I work at a credit Union). So it is a bit like living in a bubble. But it's also super easy to meet people and make friends.

It's also super safe living, especially the farther you get away from the downtown area. The south side is great. The worst we really get here is bored HS kids who like to throw things at mailboxes.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! It sounds like a nice place to live, for sure. I love how it is safe and friendly sounding!
    Photobucket
  • deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I lived in Lincoln during college and for a few years after.  One of the things I enjoyed about it is the trails for walking/jogging/biking.  (Maybe other towns its size have some that are just as good if not better-I don't know, I live in small town Nebraska)  But the trail system is great if you enjoy that sort of thing.  Also, there are a few nice lakes nearby (and a few even in town) if you enjoy fishing, boating, camping, etc.  And of course, Husker football in the fall makes downtown a lot of fun.  Just be prepared to deal with a LOT of college kids.  :)  Like others have said it is very inexpensive and friendly, but not very diverse.  Omaha and Kasas City are both close and offer many activities.  I coached at LPS for a few years (at the middle school level) and really got along well with the people I worked with. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I lived in Lincoln for college and for about 3 years after i graduated (8 years total) and i really did like it. I live in Omaha now. though Omaha has more of a busy-life style, Lincoln is laid back and really calm. It does really have a small-town charm if you like that sort of living. For the most part, it's safe, i was never worried about walking/jogging/or biking after dark. Lincoln has some really amazing locally-owned businesses and great coffee houses. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards