40-Plus Brides

Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!

Hey Knotties,
    The Garter Brides will be here starting in just about 10 minutes! The Garter Brides are three friends who met and married men later in life and authored the book Love for Grown-Ups: The Garter Brides' Guide to Marrying For Life When You've Already Got a Life! You can learn more about them by visiting their site (thegarterbrides.com) and Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/TheGarterBrides).

We will be giving away 5 copies of their book. To enter to win, just participate in the discussion! We will be picking 5 winners at random!

So let's talk about incorporating your children into your wedding, how to pick bridesmaids, and anything else you want!
Photobucket

Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!

• THE NON TRADITIONAL BRIDE..... My soon to be husband and I didnt have fathers growing up is it ok for him to just have the mother son dance and me well just sit a dance out ? i have had father figures growing up such as my grandfather my fiances grandfather and my two uncles how do i decide who walks me down the aisle ?? HELP
  • I am actually doing a Mother/Daughter dance with my Mom to the song Mamas Song by Carrie Underwood : My father passed away over 10 years ago and she raised my brother, sister and I on her own after that so I wanted to share that moment with her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:073561d4-4802-4bfa-876b-5926983530aa">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:

I would suggest you choose the uncles, as they are the father figures in your life that have seen you through all stages of life. I have a father and stepfather who have contributed (equally partial) to my life and I would have them both walk me down the aisle. I have seen two men walk a bride down the aisle or it can be split halfway down the walk. It's always great to see something different, but always choose the most important in your life . No matter the one you choose, the rest will understand - just make it clear to all parties. It may be a nontraditional 'walk', but that's what makes it unique to you! Congrats!

[QUOTE]THE NON TRADITIONAL BRIDE..... My soon to be husband and I didnt have fathers growing up is it ok for him to just have the mother son dance and me well just sit a dance out ? i have had father figures growing up such as my grandfather my fiances grandfather and my two uncles how do i decide who walks me down the aisle ?? HELP
    Posted by foralltime144[/QUOTE]
  • Even though me and my love didn't make it (our wedding was cancelled:-( I'd love to read this book !  I have children, he had children....and getting married, either as an encore bride or for the first time but with children from a previous relationship, can in fact be challenging. 

The ways we were including the children was by asking their opinions on the planning and by adding them to the actual ceremony. 

Hello ladies and happy planning! 

• Dear Non Traditional Bride,
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

We think it's just fine is your fiance and his mom have a dance!

How wonderful that you have so many loving relationships with tyour relatives!  This is what we call a happy problem- having those kinds of choices.  It's your wedding and we feel you should do whatever makes you happy on your special day - and if that means choosing your grandfather or both grandfathers and uncles-it's up to you.  The traditional route would be to have your grandfather walk you down the aisle - this could also make your deicison easier and spare anyone else's feeelings....have a great day!
  • Hello I think I am like a lot of bride's trying to balance everyone expectations of the wedding day and have the wedding we want while keep cost down. I think the hard part for me is the number of people who feel they should be invited because they think you are closer then you think. I am trying to balance it by having a smaller event for the co workers, etc. How do you respond? Yes I have known you 14 years but we don't even live in the same state?

• My MOH has to leave my wedding early - what events should we try to get done before she leaves?
  • What a wonderful idea and what a beautiful memory that will make!  Conratulations!
  • I think that is a really beautiful idea...

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:0d05b997-65d3-4b07-a1fb-e39bf5e30029">Re:Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am actually doing a Mother/Daughter dance with my Mom to the song Mamas Song by Carrie Underwood : My father passed away over 10 years ago and she raised my brother, sister and I on her own after that so I wanted to share that moment with her.
    Posted by BMcLeodTeam[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:54d0f863-8ba5-4866-bbb7-170b8226ebe8">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even though me and my love didn't make it (our wedding was cancelled:-( I'd love to read this book !  I have children, he had children....and getting married, either as an encore bride or for the first time but with children from a previous relationship, can in fact be challenging.  The ways we were including the children was by asking their opinions on the planning and by adding them to the actual ceremony.  Hello ladies and happy planning! 
    Posted by camishay1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We agree that it really helps to include children in the planning.</div><div>We hope you enjoy the book and that it's helpful to you!

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:e33a24ad-caeb-43b1-8c9a-45fd1694a444">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello I think I am like a lot of bride's trying to balance everyone expectations of the wedding day and have the wedding we want while keep cost down. I think the hard part for me is the number of people who feel they should be invited because they think you are closer then you think. I am trying to balance it by having a smaller event for the co workers, etc. How do you respond? Yes I have known you 14 years but we don't even live in the same state?
    Posted by tmonshea[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We think it's a good idea to hold a saparate smaller party for co-workers etc.!  have a wonderful day!</div>
  • If you're having a traditonal wedding have her give her toast early on in the celebration - it's something that will create a great memory for you both!
    Congratulations on your wedding!
  • I'm having a difficult time with coming to the realization its so expensive!! We just want a mediocre wedding outside with a tent reception and its almost 15,000. It seems crazy to me that for you to have a decent wedding is so much. It's so overwhelming!!
  • edited July 2012
    Oh my goodness! I'm dancing to this song with my Mom too! It will be a huge surprise to her but she means the world to me and she raised me to be the woman I am today. All the best to you :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:0d05b997-65d3-4b07-a1fb-e39bf5e30029">Re:Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am actually doing a Mother/Daughter dance with my Mom to the song Mamas Song by Carrie Underwood : My father passed away over 10 years ago and she raised my brother, sister and I on her own after that so I wanted to share that moment with her.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:0d05b997-65d3-4b07-a1fb-e39bf5e30029">Re:Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:

<div>We think that's a beautiful idea and will create a lasting memory!  Congratulations!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:fc1e867c-81b7-4399-a922-8d8efa3df05a">Re:Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a difficult time with coming to the realization its so expensive!! We just want a mediocre wedding outside with a tent reception and its almost 15,000. It seems crazy to me that for you to have a decent wedding is so much. It's so overwhelming!!
    Posted by lmhaaseth[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We realize that weddings can get out of hand with costs - check out THE KNOTS Budget Wedding Board - they have great suggestions for keeping costs down and satisfaction high!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:3fa5ff4a-c3bc-4288-b250-cc0cd27242ff">Re:Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh my goodness! I'm dancing to this song with my Mom too! It will be a huge surprise to her but she means the world to me and she raised me to be the woman I am today. All the best to you :) In Response to Re:Morning Thread with The Garter Brides! :
    Posted by EverythingNice84[/QUOTE]

<div>Congratulations to you and your mom!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:073561d4-4802-4bfa-876b-5926983530aa">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]THE NON TRADITIONAL BRIDE..... My soon to be husband and I didnt have fathers growing up is it ok for him to just have the mother son dance and me well just sit a dance out ? i have had father figures growing up such as my grandfather my fiances grandfather and my two uncles how do i decide who walks me down the aisle ?? HELP
    Posted by foralltime144[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of dancing with your mom :) You both can dance with your moms!! Who cares if its not traditional?
  • Autumnfae611Autumnfae611 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    I also have an issue with money. We have to keep ours under 5 grand!! That does not even seem possible. We are buying stuff overtime and doing a super DIY wedding. It just seem so crazy and so stressful! We are also having kids be a part of our wedding since my fiance has a 3 1/2 year old son and I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter. Flower girl and ring bearer.
  • My M.I.L has been reluctant to give me a list of people she want to invite to our wedding. I've asked her, my fiancé has asked her and she still hasn't produced it!! It's really hindering the wedding planning not know how many to plan for... Is it ok if I just say she isn't inviting any one at all??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:1c1adfd3-f627-418d-81fd-03215c3abf70">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My M.I.L has been reluctant to give me a list of people she want to invite to our wedding. I've asked her, my fiancé has asked her and she still hasn't produced it!! It's really hindering the wedding planning not know how many to plan for... Is it ok if I just say she isn't inviting any one at all??
    Posted by tanumel[/QUOTE]

One thing that has worked for the Garter Brides in the past is to set a limit on the number of people mothers and mothers-in- law can invite. It might help to come up with a number of people and let her know that's all she can invite and at least you'll have a head count even if you don't know specifically who she is choosing to invite.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:c65021f1-0452-4e8a-b6fb-d4623b3020ab">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also have an issue with money. We have to keep ours under 5 grand!! That does not even seem possible. We are buying stuff overtime and doing a super DIY wedding. It just seem so crazy and so stressful! We are also having kids be a part of our wedding since my fiance has a 3 1/2 year old son and I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter. Flower girl and ring bearer.
    Posted by Autumnfae611[/QUOTE]<div>First of all, congratulations on your wedding!  DIY definitely seems the way to go - check THE KNOTS Budget Wedding board for some great suggestions...also, is it possible for you to ask close friends and your wedding party to participate in cooking, bringing flowers etc. rather than a gift?</div><div>Have a wonderful day!

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_morning-thread-with-the-garter-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:ebb88d8b-44df-4c87-b754-42016b449491Post:1c1adfd3-f627-418d-81fd-03215c3abf70">Re: Morning Thread with The Garter Brides!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My M.I.L has been reluctant to give me a list of people she want to invite to our wedding. I've asked her, my fiancé has asked her and she still hasn't produced it!! It's really hindering the wedding planning not know how many to plan for... Is it ok if I just say she isn't inviting any one at all??
    Posted by tanumel[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We don't think that's a great start for a mother and daughter-in-law relationship!  Have your fiance give his mom a date that you need the list by in order to get invitations out at a reasonable time...good luck!</div><div>Have a wonderful wedding!

</div>
  • i didnt have a father growing up and i just found my bio dad but i am having my mother walk me down the aisle and were doing a mother and daughter dance i wouldnt haave it any other way she and all my aunts raised me so i think it will be beatiful
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards