Getting in Shape

gluten subject

I posted on here a little while back about going extremely low carb and all that stuff and how much better my tummy feels.  All symptoms of bloat, pain, gas etc etc completely gone after two days and I had been dealing with it on a constant basis for at least 2 years!  I associated that to maybe the lack of gluten in my diet and thought wow, pleasant surprise!  Today, after a month of being low carb, zero breads, pastas baked goods and all that, I caved and had a slice of banana bread from Starbucks cus I just WANTED it!  An hour later, needless to say, my lower tummy is having a grand ol' time. 

Even so, I sill can't help but wonder if I'm just being ridiculous about all that "gluten intolerance/sensitiviy" thing.  I wonder, maybe it's just a coincidence.  Maybe my tummy was dancing around before I ate the bread and I just didn't notice it, or I'm only imagining it.  I feel like I'm going to have to adjust so much in my life and it seems so problematic because so much of what we buy has gluten in it.  And the stuff that is gluten free is expensive as hell!  $6 for a tiny loaf of bread?!  SERIOUSLY??  *sigh* 
It's kind of getting me down a little. 

I guess there's no real point to this.  Just getting a little bummed about all the yummy stuff I used to enjoy and now I feel I can't ever have again. I love food, lol
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: gluten subject

• Have you consulted a doctor yet? It is my understanding that they can run more specific tests to see if you're gluten intolerant. It's possible you're allergic to something else or it could all be in your head - a doctor will give you a better idea.
  • I've been through the same thing as you. I've never had allergy tests done but frankly doctors can be quite useless and sometimes the body really does know best. It's not that hard to make your own versions of baked goods, but the longer you go without them the easier it is. I know it's challenging at first but it does get easier, trust me. Eventually you'll have zero desire for all that stuff.
  • Thanks for the tips and advice ladies :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, there's a lot of misinformation here.

You can be tested for Celiac Disease.  But if you're simply intolerant or sensitive, it won't show up.  And also?  Having been GF for a month now, the only way to actually know for sure is via a biopsy of the intestine, because blood tests won't work if you're not actively eating gluten.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't go to the doctor.  You certainly can, because there could be other things going on and it's good to rule them out.

If you feel better not eating it, then don't eat it.  Honestly?  GF bread is disgusting, and not even worth it.  I barely eat the replacement stuff.  You don't need it.  Going GF doesn't have to be expensive.  And as an added bonus, you will be eating a lot cleaner and healthier.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Agreed, J&K. I know that they can't test for celiac unless you're consuming gluten, so it's kind of a tough thing to do - eating the things that bother you to have it show up on a test that it bothers you???

I've recently noticed that my own bloating and upset stomach were much worse when I ate a lot of breads and pastas. I have all but eliminated them and feel much better.

I also agree about the replacement stuff - lots of fake ingredients does not make sense or taste good. Why try to eat better if it's all chemicals and non-foods?

Anyway, my thought is that if it hurts, don't do it. That includes food.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been following a paleo diet (no grains, no legumes, no refined sugar) for over 18 months now. Gluten and other grains make me bloat. Don't substitute foods when you can everything you need from things that you are not sensitive to and taste great! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards