Moms and Maids

I hate her gift!! How should I tell her?

Hi all,

Today, I was visiting my mom and step-father and my mom presented me with this Ruby Pearl necklace that she just knew would go perfectly with my dress. The problem is-- I hate it!  I like the ruby, but I am not a pearl person at all. To make it worse, neither the pearls nor the ruby itself are real... and honestly, the necklace looks kind of cheap.  This is probably all she can afford right now, so I don't want to hurt her feelings. (Obviously I'm not going to say anything about it's non-authenticity). I do not feel comfortable wearing a necklace I dont like for my wedding... especially a pearl one.  Any advice on how to tell her I don't like it without hurting her feelings?

Thanks!

Re: I hate her gift!! How should I tell her?

• Maybe tell her that it would be great for the rehearsal dinner and that you would love to have her help you pick out what you are wearing for your wedding....I told my.mom that my FI wanted to buy my jewerly...so I am able to buy what I want.
  • Wear it for the rehearsal dinner.  Tell her that as much as you love it (yes, lie) it isn't what you've had your heart on wearing.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • don't lie.. just don't wear it or say you had something else in mind already.
  • Wear it to your rehearsal.  My parents gave me a diamond necklace (the diamond was my great aunts) for my wedding.  I told them that since my dress was one-shoulder that I wasn't going to wear a necklace.  My parents were fine with it.  They told me that it was a gift not a mandatory requirement for the wedding.  I wore it to my rehearsal and have since worn it often just because.

Just tell your Mom that you appreciate the gift but that you were going to go in another direction for the wedding and that you will wear it for the rehearsal.

• All of the above is good advice, but I feel like that ship has sailed, since it's been given already. What did you say that day, OP? If you raved about it...you are kind of stuck, unless you are comfortable saying "I just found something that is PERFECT, please don't be upset that I'm not wearing what you got me. I would love to wear yours at the Rehearsal Dinner."

I mean, that's just me. I would feel really bad saying "no," after already saying "yes."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed with kaceymarie. I don't think you should have to wear it to rehearsal dinner either. Your picture will be taken then too..wear what you want the rehearsal dinner as well.

Just say thank you and it's lovely. Just say that you found something else that you already got and would like to wear that. Just say you will wear it for other occasions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• could you attach it to the handle of your bouquet and incorporate it in your wedding that way?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards