Vermont
Options

Newb with NWR: Moving to Vermont!

Hi ladies!

I've never posted to this board before, but sometime within the next few weeks, I will be moving to Vermont to start a new job!  I'll be working in Burlington, but I'm largely unfamiliar with the area.  Are there any suggestions that anyone can give related on good places to live?  "Good places" can be loose too, so any good nearby towns, etc.  I'm looking to keep my commute to no more than 30-minutes.  Any help that you can offer would be awesome.  TIA, I really appreciate it!

- Lindsey

Re: Newb with NWR: Moving to Vermont!

• Options
    NatalieJeanneNatalieJeanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Burlington is great!  I'm assuming that you are looking to rent vs buy for the time being.  Burlington can be pricey, but if you look hard enough you can find a great place for cheap.  The Old North End has a lot of character, certain streets are nice...others a bit sketchy, but a wonderful neighborhood filled with artists and young families.  I live there and love it! 

If you are looking to be a little further out and have more space, Richmond is lovely. Essex Jct., Williston and S. Burlington have a lot of Condos that are affordable to rent if you are looking for that style of abode.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Mango9Mango9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there!  Well Congrats on the new job!!!!
    I am a huge fan of the old north end in Burlington.  I lived there for a few years, it was great because it was just a short walk to downtown.  I currently am livivng in the South end of Burlington and love it too.  Still close to downtown, oakledge park, the interstate, but much more quiet.
    I am also a big fan of Winooski.  Like Burlington there are nicer areas. you just have to check them out.  
    If you do look in to downtown burlington make sure there is off street parking!!!!  If there is a snow ban you'll need to park your car in a garage downtown and go get it by 7am the next day.  It is just a pain.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the advice, ladies!  Definitely noted about the off-street parking, yikes!  That would be a pain.  Both of you ladies mentioned living in the North End and liking it, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.  Are there any property managers that you would be willing to recommend?   I'll have to let y'all know how it ends up panning out.  I'm SO flipping excited to be moving to Vermont, but finding a place at a distance is kind of tough.  My last move, FI and I just bunked with a friend, so I'm out of the apartment hunting game.  Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Sidebar, Miss Mango, HOLY COW, you are less than two weeks away from your wedding, congratulations!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to moving to VT!  I was actually offered a position today in Vermont (I'm in Colorado right now), unfortunately they did not have the salary info (?!?!), so I'm hoping tomorrow that HR will contact me with some numbers :)  I visit VT a lot because my fiance is from there, and there are some nice little towns like Winooski that are close to Burlington, but are much less expensive.  I will be in a similar boat, can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_vermont_newb-nwr-moving-vermont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:131Discussion:e9a4a9e5-09fa-4677-b729-8fb64931ca75Post:72904a81-afda-4e9d-ad42-389c5d6bd119">Re: Newb with NWR: Moving to Vermont!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats to moving to VT!  I was actually offered a position today in Vermont (I'm in Colorado right now), unfortunately they did not have the salary info (?!?!), so I'm hoping tomorrow that HR will contact me with some numbers :)  I visit VT a lot because my fiance is from there, and there are some nice little towns like Winooski that are close to Burlington, but are much less expensive.  I will be in a similar boat, can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
    Posted by BethSt[/QUOTE]

<div>Whaaaa, this is so exciting, congratulations!!  When do you start your new job?</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I was offered a position (it's with the organizatio I work for now), but it's going to take a couple weeks to get the official offer from HR (yay red tape!), and then I will be out in Vermont sometime mid-October.  Are you out there yet?  What do you think?  I'm really nervous, I've never lived in a small town environment and I only know my fiance's friends and family out there.  Yikes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mega late responding to this, but I figured I'd give it a shot in case you came back!

We aren't out there quite yet, we're moving at the end of this month.  I'll be starting my new job a week after the wedding (yeeeeeeah, things are a little nuts right now!).  Have you visited?  Burlington is very cute, I really liked it when I was there for the interview.  The Lake is just breathtaking.  Vermont is definitely the most beautiful place I've ever seen in person.  We're also very excited to move back up north.  We're from Upstate NY and have been living in NC the past couple of years while I finished my masters.  It was nice giving it a try, but we're ready to get out of the heat.

Hey, I know this board seems a little slow, but maybe we could do a GTG or something after you move! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whoa!  You've got a lot going on!  Good luck with everything :)  I'm moving out at the end of October, and I would love to do a Vermont GTG, the only people I know in VT are my fiance's friends and family, so I'm hoping to meet some people on my own!  I'm going to be living at first in the Montpelier area and working in Burlington (I know, the commute is killer), then I think we are going to look into one of the Burlington surrounding areas.  Let's keep in touch and get something together once things have settled!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is fantastic!  I can't wait to hear more about your wedding.  Are you guys getting married back in CO or in VT since you mentioned your FI is from there?  Definitely either drop back over here or send me a PM when you finally make the move.  Wheee, this is so exciting!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just moved to Vermont from California 2 months ago. I found our apartment online. Vermont doesnt really have a lot of apartment complexes so it was tough. We are living in Keen's Crossing in Winooski and it's GREAT! Very nice area, right across the street from a river, steps away is a huge park and hiking path (100 acres) and there is a very cute little "town square" that has great food and is only 5 mins walking distance from the apartment. Burlington is 5 mins away by car. Coming from California, I'm used to driving 20-30 mins to get somewhere, and it is SO NICE and refreshing to be able to practically walk anywhere.

Keen's Crossing also has underground parking for an extra fee, which is nice for us snow newbies who wouldnt know what to do if our car was under 5 ft of snow :) Also we like not worrying about finding parking.

I'm already married, but I'd love to meet up and make some friends!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    <span style="color:#000000;font-family:Times;line-height:normal;font-size:medium;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_vermont_newb-nwr-moving-vermont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:131Discussion:e9a4a9e5-09fa-4677-b729-8fb64931ca75Post:b1316afe-3da9-4e20-b098-74b3270064ab">Re: Newb with NWR: Moving to Vermont!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just moved to Vermont from California 2 months ago. I found our apartment online. Vermont doesnt really have a lot of apartment complexes so it was tough. We are living in Keen's Crossing in Winooski and it's GREAT! Very nice area, right across the street from a river, steps away is a huge park and hiking path (100 acres) and there is a very cute little "town square" that has great food and is only 5 mins walking distance from the apartment. Burlington is 5 mins away by car. Coming from California, I'm used to driving 20-30 mins to get somewhere, and it is SO NICE and refreshing to be able to practically walk anywhere. Keen's Crossing also has underground parking for an extra fee, which is nice for us snow newbies who wouldnt know what to do if our car was under 5 ft of snow :) Also we like not worrying about finding parking. <strong>I'm already married, but I'd love to meet up and make some friends!</strong>
    Posted by newvermontgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Heck yes!!!  We just moved to Burlington on Saturday.. and then left for our Maine wedding on Sunday!  Hahaha.  Been a little crazy up in here.  Now we're back and unpacking.  Wow, you guys came all the way out from California?  That must be a switch!  Happy to hear you're already liking it.  We came from Durham, NC and are already loving Burilngton.  The fact that we have a 10-15 minute walk to the lake and I have about, oh, a 3 minute walk to the campus where I work certainly doesn't hurt.</div><div>
    </div><div>Just waiting for Miss Beth to get her butt on out here from Colorado!  We should totally do a GTG ;)</div></div></span>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards