Moms and Maids

FMIL HATES wearing Dresses! Pant Suit OK??

My FMIL hates wearing dresses, nylons in particular, and asked if it'd be okay if she wore a pant suit. I tried to kindly say I'd like if she would wear a dress, and asked if she could wear one without nylons since she hates them, but she said she has a mental block against wearing dresses without nylons.

Any suggestions on dress vs. pantsuit?? Does it even matter?? Wedding is in 2 months.

Re: FMIL HATES wearing Dresses! Pant Suit OK??

• emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would tell her to wear whatever she feels most comfortable in.  If she doesn't feel comfortable wearing one, I wouldn't push the issue.
  • edited December 2011
    Why does it matter? You can't dictate what your guests wear, that's just rude. No one's going to look at your FMIL and think her pant suit is a poor reflection of you or anything. Let her wear what she's comfortable in.

I'd be pissed off if a bride told me I absolutely had to wear a dress to her wedding, and probably wouldn't go just on principle.
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have a very nice FMIL to think of your feelings, now you need to respect her wishes in letting her wear a pant suit. I know there are TONS of pantsuits out there that almost look like dresses (I've been to several weddings were the MOG or MOB wore pantsuits), but I will tell you know one will care if your FMIL is in a pantsuit. Let this go, let her pick out her own outfit. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, let her pick something she feels comfortable in. Pant suits are ok, there are some real nice ones out there. My FMIL doesn't like nylons either, but said she would deal with it for a few hours for her son and I.
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to know why you think you have the right to tell a grown woman how to dress.  If she doesn't like wearing dresses and wants to wear a pantsuit she has every right to.  It won't look weird and I guarantee no one will notice or remember what she was wearing.

Let her pick whatever she wants.  She's been dressing herself for her entire adult life; your wedding is no exception.
  • edited December 2011

One of my closest friends is also uncomfortable wearing dresses and wore a "pantsuit" to her son's wedding and it looked lovely.  It was a three piece outfit with a beaded top, a chiffon beaded jacket and chiffon pallazzo pants -- every bit as dressy and good looking as any dress she could have worn!

• bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, pantsuits are highly illegal and if she wears one the wedding police will break things up before you and your FI can say "I do."

<rolls eyes>

She's a grown woman, she can pick her own outfit without your permission or blessing.  If she wants to wear a pantsuit, she wears a pantsuit.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-hates-wearing-dresses-pant-suit-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:99cc454a-7d4b-458e-8b45-903cd960a38dPost:d6bdf885-414a-4efe-aac9-a9d1fb6773b2">Re: FMIL HATES wearing Dresses! Pant Suit OK??</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my closest friends is also uncomfortable wearing dresses and wore a "pantsuit" to her son's wedding and it looked lovely.  It was a three piece outfit with a beaded top, a chiffon beaded jacket and chiffon pallazzo pants -- every bit as dressy and good looking as any dress she could have worn!
    Posted by mob112710[/QUOTE]

I have seen many MOBs and MOGs wear pants suits like the above poster mentioned.  They are very beautiful.

At my daughter's wedding both the MOG and myself did wear floor length gowns -- but all 3 Grandmthers wore pant suits.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ONLY answer you should give your FMIL when she asks is the answer my wonderful DIL gave me.

ME:  What would you like me to wear for the wedding?

DIL:  Whatever you feel beautiful and comfortable in.

Let your FMIL wear what she wants.  Really?  How will your FMIL in a pantsuit impact your wedding and more important~your marriage?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-hates-wearing-dresses-pant-suit-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:99cc454a-7d4b-458e-8b45-903cd960a38dPost:2ec47caa-8647-4b82-a542-4b9a47e53f95">FMIL HATES wearing Dresses! Pant Suit OK??</a>:
    [QUOTE] Does it even matter?? Wedding is in 2 months.
    Posted by maw3282[/QUOTE]

<p>ZOMG...if she wears pants your marriage will not be valid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>Chill out.  She is an adult and can dress herself.  
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I wore flowy carwash type pants to my last DD's wedding and I looked fantastic if I say so myself.  My outfit was very formal and very me.  I detest dresses.  I own my wedding dress, the dress from my first DD's wedding, and I'm in the miltiary so I'm stuck with that skirt.  Let it go and I promise she will look lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards