Honeymoon Discussions
Options

"Different" honeymoon options

Hey ladies - my fiance and I are trying to come up with something fun and different for our honeymoon. I don't want the usual "go to a warm resort somewhere and sit on the beach". Because we can take a vacation like that whenever! I want something fun and different. Somewhere or something that our friends and family haven't done.  We've considered maybe taking a road trip... Any out of the ordinary locations within the US that you would recommend?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: "Different" honeymoon options

• Options
    We are taking an Alaskan cruise :)
    It's something we've bothw anted to do, plus we're already going on a tropical vacation next month.
  • Options
    Herkimer, NY. There is a diamond mine there, where you can dig for your own diamonds. That is where we got engaged.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    time of year? budget? interests? dislikes?

• Options
    A diamond mine?! That is so cool! Worth looking into for sure!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We were considering Alaska too! I have family up there - hadn't considered an Alaskan CRUISE though!! :)  We will be taking our honeymoon in September of this year. We love music, being active outdoors, love animals, love to go out dancing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about an African Safari?
  • Options
    African Safari would be a dream!! Maybe someday - but for our honeymoon we want to stay in the states.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What is your budget?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_different-honeymoon-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:5e71ee58-4ba1-4d6c-b957-f9801f8991b5Post:c8ab2b17-0082-409e-ac88-8b89350b7951">Re: "Different" honeymoon options</a>:
    [QUOTE]Herkimer, NY. There is a diamond mine there, where you can dig for your own diamonds. That is where we got engaged.
    Posted by beth34608[/QUOTE]

They aren't real diamonds, they're very pure crystals. Not that the Herkimer Mines aren't fun to visit, but since the OP got excited about the diamonds, I wanted to make sure she had all the info
  • Options
    Vegas is cool for a variety of things to do, classy (and, I suppose, un-classy) nightlife options, and lots of honeymoon worthy hotels.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification on the Diamond mine... but still a cool option! Thanks for the ideas ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How much time can you devote to the trip?
  • Options
    We did a road trip from Seattle to San Francisco for our HM.  We spent a couple days in Seattle, then went to hike in Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier, Willamette National Forest, and Crater Lake, and then we spent 3 days in SF.  While there, we took a day trip to Muir Woods and Mt Tamalpais to hike too.  It was awesome.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    New Orleans! Great nightlife and lots of history!
  • Options
    I've never done it, but a couple of my friends drove up and down the California coast for their honeymoon and loved it!  
  • Options
    We are going to Vegas for our Honeymoon.  We didn't want to your traditional beach  honeymoon.  I've never been to Vegas but, there is a lot to see such as the Hoover Damn,and Grand Canyon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are spending a week on a ranch outside of Yellowstone. We will be filling our time up with fishing, hiking, going to a rodeo, and just being outside. Neither one of have been there.

Driving up the California coast is a fun trip especially stopping at the crazy tourist places off the side of the road. Seattle will be a fun place for a honeymoon. What about the Grand Canyon or the Great Smoky Mountains?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My wedding is in October and FI and I both love to travel.. literally, the rushing of getting on planes and packing and checking in, all the running around. So we didn't want a "relaxing" honeymoon, we'd just get too bored!
    We live in Pittsburgh and we're both huge sports nuts, so for the two weeks following our wedding, since football and hockey will both be in season, we're following each team to whichever cities they go to. That way we can see a little bit of a lot of different places, get to travel a lot and always have something to do, and of course get to see all those games!
  • Options
    My brother & sister in law went to San Antonio.  I haven't been there but I've heard it's beautiful!  I'd also throw in a vote for Chicago but I'm a little biased ; )  
  • Options
    We're doing Sant Barbara, Carmel, San Fran and Napa. Totally agree with not wanting to go to a warm resort, we vetoed that right away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    WOW! So many different ideas! Love it! I love the sports idea... we are both huge football fans - maybe hitting up the cities that our team is playing in would be cool. Still love the vegas idea. And Yellowstone sounds awesome too. Thank you everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

In no particular order:

Southern California (LA/San Diego)
    Central California (Carmel/Big Sur/Monteray)
    Northern California (San Fran/Napa/Sonoma/Redwoods)
    Charleston
    Savannah
    Seattle/Mt. Rainier
    Portland Oregon/Mount Baker
    San Antonio/Austin
    New Orleans
    Yellowstone
    Grand Tetons - Wyoming
    Glacier National Park - Montana
    Asheville, NC - near Smoky Mts./wine/hiking/cute shops-city
    Grand Canyon - Arizona + Sedona?

• Options

Bah - TK ate my post!

If you're willing to venture up here into Canada, I can give you some more awesome suggestions!

~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are taking a 7 night new england/Nova scotia cruise. For excursions we found a lot of great ideas ranging from ocean kayaking to scenic drives on the coast. We are getting married in June and didn't think going way down south for something tropical would be very enjoyable in that kind of heat so we opted to go north instead. Also, we didn't want a lot of the partying/clubing kind of night life. So, this was a perfect fit! :) Good luck!
  • Options

Mostly it will depend on your interests and budget.  My husband and I love road trips - what about a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway or on the Blue Ridge Parkway (beautiful in the Fall - but September might be a little too early for the color change). A visit the wineries in Napa Valley? If you're foodies like my hubby and I - a road trip to visit some of the different food places featured on TV (Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives; Man vs. Food; Food Paradises, etc.). 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • Options
    we are going to Madeline island on lake superior in Wisconsin its part of the apostle islands there are cabins you can rent or there are two camp grounds if you love to camp. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Northern Michigan and the UP!!!! Beautiful!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Proposal Site: 12/29/10 United States Capitol Building Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    joannami09joannami09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We're considering doing a road trip honeymoon. It ends up cheaper than airfare because I drive a prius, and it'll be nice to have our own transportation without the hassel of renting. We're excited to just take off together and spend time together. As far as I'm concerned as long as we're together it's a great honeymoon. ;) We're planning on driving either to the Oregon Coast, British Columbia, or Quebec and staying in a condo (timeshare gift). We live in Spokane, WA so those aren't too long of drives (except the two day drive to Quebec). I think it'll be fun to make stops along the way, and spontaneously drive where we want and when we want. It's not the traditional "beachside" honeymoon, but it'll be relaxing, fun, reviving and memorable!! Good luck.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that there are WAY more ideas than the traditional beach honeymoon. LOVE the idea of the island in Wisconsin out on the great lakes! We do love to camp and be outdoors - a definite maybe on the list! Thanks again for all the suggestions ladies - its been a HUGE help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you plan on going to Northern Michigan, maybe swing over to Duluth, MN!  They have Gooseberry Falls National Park (where you can play in a river and see some gorgeous waterfalls!!  Also in Two Harbors there is a Lighthouse you can tour (it even has part of a ship in the tour), as well as Split Rock Lighthouse in Duluth I believe!  Glensheen Mansion in that same area can also be fun if you are into history (if you do go, ask about the murders if the tour guide will talk about them, it isn't a haunted house.. Just to clarify).  Glensheen offers 2 tours, one goes into the attic and one doesn't, IMHO the attic tour isn't worth the extra money as you only spend a few minutes in there!!  I've done both tours!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards