Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Changing his & her last names

My FI & I have decided to both change our names when we get married.  Neither he nor I is close with our fathers and thought it was better to not carry on a name that has no meaning to us.  We live in MA so I know all he has to do is also change his name on the marriage certificate.  FI is worried about changing his name on the rest of  things, license, bank accounts, etc.  I told him I would think it would work the same way as anyone doing it, start with s.s. and so forth.  Has anyone done this?  Any words of advise?
White Knot
June '13 January siggy Honeymoon Destination
Indian Head Resort White Mountains New Hampshire
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Changing his & her last names

• I read an article in Salon over a year ago about a husband who changed his name. I think this was in NY. He just brought his marriage license to the DMV, and the clerk, after checking with her supervisor, gave him a new license, same as she'd give to a new wife.

Here in California, we have more experience with name changes as part of sex changes. Those articles say the banks have name change forms. You just fill out the form and provide the required documentation.
  • It would be the same for him as everyone else. Has to change everything, license, SS number, credit cards, bank statements, etc, etc. Just as a little side bar - do both sets of families know about your decision? My father used to be a wedding photographer and a couple decided to do this. It was not announced until the priest pronounced them husband a wife with the new name. Both sets of families were very upset...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_changing-his-her-last-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4f6a3ed1-1765-451d-b036-603a5f6ff850Post:710ce131-d664-4b9b-8055-962ff99e1405">Re: Changing his & her last names</a>:
    [QUOTE]It would be the same for him as everyone else. Has to change everything, license, SS number, credit cards, bank statements, etc, etc. Just as a little side bar - do both sets of families know about your decision? My father used to be a wedding photographer and a couple decided to do this. It was not announced until the priest pronounced them husband a wife with the new name. <strong>Both sets of families were very upset...</strong>
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

<div>So?  It isn't their name, it isn't their decision.  Their opinion shouldn't matter.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, he probably will have to go to the social security office first with the marriage license.  Once you get that changed, you do the DMV.  All your business relations (bank, job, etc) will want a new license or SS card.</div>
  • Since you are both changing, if your schedule allows, you can both go together to the places you need to go in person (SS office, DMV, etc).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_changing-his-her-last-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4f6a3ed1-1765-451d-b036-603a5f6ff850Post:710ce131-d664-4b9b-8055-962ff99e1405">Re: Changing his & her last names</a>:
    [QUOTE]It would be the same for him as everyone else. Has to change everything, license, SS number, credit cards, bank statements, etc, etc. Just as a little side bar - do both sets of families know about your decision? My father used to be a wedding photographer and a couple decided to do this. It was not announced until the priest pronounced them husband a wife with the new name. Both sets of families were very upset...
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

My family already knows and we are telling his soon.  We have thought of that are also going to incoperate the fact that we will change our names on our invites.  Thanks for the advice though, I can imagine that must've been a little shocking for the families.
    White Knot
  • So what do you do then? Just pick a random last name that you like?
    June 16, 2012
  • That is absolutely what we did.  Our last name is going to be Pherber his first name being Christo(Pher) and mines Am(ber).  Tada, that was all the logic we used, we wanted something unique.
    White Knot
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_changing-his-her-last-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4f6a3ed1-1765-451d-b036-603a5f6ff850Post:1f8145f2-9b93-4f77-aab1-ca0875d144f7">Re: Changing his & her last names</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is absolutely what we did.  Our last name is going to be Pherber his first name being Christo(Pher) and mines Am(ber).  Tada, that was all the logic we used, we wanted something unique.
    Posted by APherber418[/QUOTE]

Are you Filipino?  This is something common in that culture (combining names)
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards