Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

August wedding in Florida...hot?!

My fiance and I are having our wedding august 27th and we are in Tampa-ish area of florida. I imagine in August it will be hot. The ceremony is at 5 and it's outdoors. I was thinking of getting fans to have as favors for people to use, however I was concerned with the idea of men using them. Has anyone use them in their ceremony? What type did you use and were they well received? Or did the guys tend to snub them?

Re: August wedding in Florida...hot?!

• Options
    I haven't used them.  But I say if the guys want to cool off, they will use them. If not, they will be hot.  I wouldn't worry about it.

I've seen packs of 20 at Michaels for $20, and TK Wedding Shop sells them as well - I probably wouldn't spend a ton of money since it's unlikely they will be reused to any great extent.
  • Options
    I had to go to a conference in Florida last year in August and it was next to unbearable.  A hand fan would have made no difference.

Do you absolutely have to have an outdoor ceremony in the dead of Florida Summer?
  • Options
    My H and I went to Florida last August and I'll never do it again. I'll take August in Las Vegas over August in Florida anytime.
  • Options
    July-Sep are the WORST here in Florida.  THe humidity is terrible.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    When I've been in the Tampa area in July/August, it's usually too hot to be sitting outside, even after the sun sets.  Fans are probably not going to be enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It will be very very hot, and humid. Also, there are lots of thunderstorms in the afternoon so have a backup plan. Also provide water, fans, and shade for guests who will be waiting outdoors before the ceremony begins. It's the kind of hot that's unsafe for people with health conditions. Don't keep people out there any longer than necessary. 

*Also mosquitoes...
  • Options
    Yeah, it's going to be WAY hot at 5pm in August.  5pm is the hottest time of day.

Fans would be great.  Providing some kind of shade, like an awning, tent, or overhang would help too.  Maybe you can look into renting one of those "cool zone" things they have on the sidelines at football games (it might be too noisy to have during the ceremony, but you could run it while your guests are waiting for the ceremony to start).

Yeah, lots of water is a good idea!!!
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_august-wedding-floridahot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9bacbbd3-ab5f-440d-a4fe-a898f218294aPost:1f275e76-3a62-423f-97bd-2778fa00dda7">Re: August wedding in Florida...hot?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, it's going to be WAY hot at 5pm in August.  5pm is the hottest time of day. Fans would be great.  Providing some kind of shade, like an awning, tent, or overhang would help too.  Maybe you can look into renting one of those "cool zone" things they have on the sidelines at football games (it might be too noisy to have during the ceremony, but you could run it while your guests are waiting for the ceremony to start). Yeah, lots of water is a good idea!!!
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

I think the shade would be nice. If you can have it set up a while before the ceremony it will cool the ground down a little, especially if its on sand. The fans will help but sadly the biggest problem is the humidity like others have said. It can truely be unbearable. I lived in Daytona for a few years and I will never go back during the August-Sept time frame. My suggestion would be to keep the ceremony short have lots of water and shade, if you can get some electric fans that would be helpful to keep the air moving.
  • Options
    I live in Orlando and my best friend got married in June. Thank god it wasn't outside because the weather in the summer months or terrible. I would definitly have fans and water passed out. I chose my wedding to be in October since this is still nice but warm. My ceremony and reception will be outside.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I just asked my hubby and he said he would use a fan. =]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards